Quantcast
rreschran

Re: Scanners and Response

Posted (edited)

I'm highly entertained by stories of tow operator response via the use of scanners, especially in Texas and New York. Having reviewed numerous (big city) law enforcement contracts, I've found no mention of use of scanners for either legitimate of illegitimate tow response, but that doesn't mean it's not written somewhere. Perhaps that's because there's huge liability for a police agency to require the use that supports, "quick response"? Many cities still use the old, "tossed chip system", for tow operators responding to calls for services they hear over police scanners. I personally think this kind of "dispatch" response is archaic and a dangerous process by agencies that sanction tower's speed to the scene in hopes of getting their chip selected. It doesn't make sense to me that some law enforcement agencies allow this practice while expecting the tow company's vicarious liability. However, for towers that use scanners to respond, if scanners are a tactical way to aide in getting business, I understand the thought process.   Any Thoughts?     R. 

Edited by rreschran
Spelling

Randall C. Resch

Names Rob, there are several in the app store. The one I use is Scanner Radio, but there are several that come up using that search.

So look for these images in your app store.

Scanner-Radio-Android-App.png

Randy I couldn't agree more about the behaviors the "chip" system condones. I am not also a fan of using scanners to chase wrecks, this also caused dangerous driving behaviors. Many years ago, when I was a new towers, we had to have scanners in Pennsylvania not to chase wrecks but to keep the PSP honest. We did not use a true rotation, rather the nearest available system. This left a lot of discretion with the dispatcher as to which towing company was nearest, or available. My scanner was a tool to monitor the requests for service so I could know if I was being passed over, or know to prepare for a call if I knew it was my turn/service area and I just heard the tones go out for an ambulance or rescue truck.

Today I would never think of having a scanner in my tow truck, besides being almost useless with the encrypted digital radios that most departments use, the implied liability is too great should you have a wreck responding to a call or just happen to come upon something that the department could use to suspend you from the tow list.

We have some scanners and one radio but it is to keep us informed so that when something does happen we know what is going on since we only have 3 towing services in the county it is nice to know if we will be needed and we can be prepared. We cover most of the south half of the county and so knowing what and where is important.

George - - Moore's BP
We'll see you on down the road