Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Scanners and Response

rreschran

I'm highly entertained by stories of tow operator response via the use of scanners, especially in Texas and New York. Having reviewed numerous (big city) law enforcement contracts, I've found no mention of use of scanners for either legitimate of illegitimate tow response, but that doesn't mean it's not written somewhere. Perhaps that's because there's huge liability for a police agency to require the use that supports, "quick response"? Many cities still use the old, "tossed chip system", for tow operators responding to calls for services they hear over police scanners. I personally think this kind of "dispatch" response is archaic and a dangerous process by agencies that sanction tower's speed to the scene in hopes of getting their chip selected. It doesn't make sense to me that some law enforcement agencies allow this practice while expecting the tow company's vicarious liability. However, for towers that use scanners to respond, if scanners are a tactical way to aide in getting business, I understand the thought process.   Any Thoughts?     R. 

Edited by rreschran
Spelling
  • Like 1

Randall C. Resch

Randy I couldn't agree more about the behaviors the "chip" system condones. I am not also a fan of using scanners to chase wrecks, this also caused dangerous driving behaviors. Many years ago, when I was a new towers, we had to have scanners in Pennsylvania not to chase wrecks but to keep the PSP honest. We did not use a true rotation, rather the nearest available system. This left a lot of discretion with the dispatcher as to which towing company was nearest, or available. My scanner was a tool to monitor the requests for service so I could know if I was being passed over, or know to prepare for a call if I knew it was my turn/service area and I just heard the tones go out for an ambulance or rescue truck.

Today I would never think of having a scanner in my tow truck, besides being almost useless with the encrypted digital radios that most departments use, the implied liability is too great should you have a wreck responding to a call or just happen to come upon something that the department could use to suspend you from the tow list.

We have some scanners and one radio but it is to keep us informed so that when something does happen we know what is going on since we only have 3 towing services in the county it is nice to know if we will be needed and we can be prepared. We cover most of the south half of the county and so knowing what and where is important.

• Like 1

George - - Moore's BP
We'll see you on down the road

• 2 months later...

In the early 90's wreck chasing was made illegal in Louisiana. New Orleans, the largest city by population in Louisiana, is still able to be scanned and wreck chasing still exists there to a degree. But recently, a large majority of the municipalities have gone encrypted to such a point that they cannot be scanned. I've been a scanner junkie since before my early towing days in the 80's, through my Paramedic/RN days and even now. We used to monitor in the office just so we knew when we would be next up on rotation. And it did help our response times. Now, not being able to monitor most of the agencies we tow for, it has shown a small affect on response times as well as killing a hobby. 

ASAPsig.jpeg

"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is

a Gift, That is why they call it the Present"...unknown

"We used to monitor in the office just so we knew when we would be next up on rotation. And it did help our response times."

This is a huge benefit to Companies on Rotation. However, a few companies not just the Wreck Chasers, some on Rotation as well ruined it for all. Although, that is only a small reason for the encryption it has been a factor. Not the companies that used it professionally and didn't make waves. It was the ones that continually complained using the information attained from scanning.

We always used to have scanners in our trucks, but it was mainly to give us a little advanced warning before we would be called by the police.  And many times when the police would call we would already have trucks on the way to the call.  Scanners were always good for knowing more information about the job before we arrived to the scene as well.    Over the last few years our area has mainly gone digital.  I do have a scanner app on my iphone that I use here and there.  The biggest help to me is an app called PulsePoint.   I can sent it to give me notifications on accidents in our county.  Its great to give us a heads up of whats coming.  We have designated police departments that we tow for so if a crash happens in that township, we know the call is coming.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

There isn't an agency associated with Pulse Point in my area. It does appear to be a useful tool to alert you to numerous situations. Though it's primary purpose seems to be to Alert a qualified user trained in CPR to respond to a person in possible need of CPR nearby. After more than 3 years I would think that it would be in every large community. I'll likely uninstall it since it isn't going to work here.

I have 5-0 Radio on my iPhone and don't use it very much sometimes when I hear or see Police, Fire & Ambulances rolling I may turn it on to see what's going on to see if we might get called or get screwed over, our rotation isn't very good when you have officers telling people that a certain service would be more convenient or quicker, yes they would be quicker they are on the Fire Dept. and using a County radio that taxpayers pay for including me to steal  your business, crooker than a barrel of fishhooks !