Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Teetering with propane tanks below.

I had a call for a Ford Ranger on the edge of an embankment with propane tanks below, after 30 years of this profession I have learned 99% of the time the "almost tipping over the edge" from the reporting party is usually very well planted with no chance of going over. When I arrived on scene I found a Ranger teetering (literally) on a rock ledge with sure enough propane tanks below. Tanks would have probablely been just fine if the truck would have gone over, I was tip toeing around the truck on the high side hoping a good wind gust wasn't coming as it was very unstable. The only damage was the passenger rear tire was blown off the bead from impact going in with a rock.  I positioned my 2001 F550 4x4 with a Chevron 408, boom extended/raised for lift with boom sheave perpendicular to the rear bumper of the Ranger, ran my passenger side line to a tree/strap/shackle/snatchblock then terminated at the drivers front lower control arm with a 5/16" grade 80 recovery chain in a basket of the Ranger for a sideways pull on the front, snugged the winch. I ran my drivers line to a 5/16" grade 80 recovery chain choked (so it couldn't come off the end of the hitch) around hitch tube. I would have preferred to run a strap around the low side of the hitch receiver but in this case did not want to put myself below the Ranger for my safety. I gave a hard lift on the rear lifting the rear off the rock retaining wall & pulled both front & rear back onto the road. 

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3258.jpg

IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

• Like 1

Hello from sunny (when its not raining) Orcas Island