Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Operator Killed - Louisiana - 08.02.19

rreschran

My data counts 41-tow operators killed so far in the line-of-duty for this year with almost five-full months left in the year. last night around 9:15 PM, another tow truck operator was killed in Louisiana. Christine and I send pur prayer and sympathy to this tower's family and his company.    R.

Tow operator,  Lloyd Moore Jr., (65) was attempting to load a disabled vehicle onto his wrecker on the shoulder of I-20 when he was struck by an unknown vehicle. 

https://www.knoe.com/content/news/Wrecker-driver-hit-and-killed-on-shoulder-of-I-20-516494101.html 

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/news/crime/2019/08/03/wrecker-driver-hit-killed-unknown-car-interstate-20/1910783001/

Details are limited and a toxicology report is pending.

At this rate of five tow operators being killed per month in 209, we're on the way to reaching the average of 60-operators killed.

Randall C. Resch

Wrecker driver hit and killed on shoulder of I-20

OUACHITA PARISH, La. (KNOE) - Louisiana State Police say a wrecker driver is dead after he was hit and killed on the shoulder of Interstate 20 on Friday.

According to a spokesman from LSP, the crash happened shortly before 9:15 p.m. Friday on I-20 near the Ouachita/Richland Parish line.

Per LSP, the preliminary investigation revealed the wrecker driver, 65-year-old Lloyd Moore Jr. of Tallulah, was trying to load a disabled vehicle onto his wrecker on the shoulder of the interstate when he was struck by an unknown vehicle.

Moore was pronounced dead at the scene by the Ouachita Parish Coroner’s Office. Toxicology samples were obtained and will be submitted for analysis. The crash remains under investigation.

Louisiana State Police Press Release:

TROOP F NEWS RELEASE
August 3, 2019

Wrecker Driver Dies in Ouachita Parish Crash

Monroe – Shortly before 9:15 p.m., on August 2, 2019, Louisiana State Police Troop F responded to a crash on Interstate 20 near the Ouachita/Richland Parish line. The crash claimed the life of a wrecker driver.

The preliminary investigation revealed the wrecker driver, 65-year-old Lloyd Moore Jr. of Tallulah, was attempting to load a disabled vehicle onto his wrecker on the shoulder of I-20 when he was struck by an unknown vehicle.

Moore was pronounced dead at the scene by the Ouachita Parish Coroner’s Office. Toxicology samples were obtained and will be submitted for analysis. The crash remains under investigation.

Troopers urge citizens to remember that Louisiana’s “Move Over” law keeps EVERYONE safe. The “Move Over” requirement applies not only to first responders such as law enforcement, ambulance, and fire/rescue crews, but also to highway workers, tow and recovery truck operators, and any vehicle utilizing hazard/warning lights. Please MOVE OVER to keep them safe!

In 2019, Troop F has investigated 25 fatal crashes resulting in 30 deaths.

Contact Information:
M/T Michael Reichardt
Louisiana State Police
Public Affairs Section
Office: (318) 345-2810
michael.reichardt@la.gov

I too agree with what Steve said. I’m just 63, but have a plan in place to retire in 3 years. Each time the phone rings you head out the door confidant you will get the job done. Then on scene you’re constantly watching your back .

Very sorry for the loss of another great man. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.