Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow truck driver critically injured in hit-and-run on I-285 "UPDATED" (GA)

TowNews

A tow truck driver was hit on I-285 when he stopped to help a stranded driver early Friday, Sandy Springs police said.

The vehicle that hit the man, identified by police as 26-year-old Darrell Simpson of Marietta, reportedly did not stop and continued west on I-285. Simpson was rushed to a hospital, where he was in critical condition, Sandy Springs police Sgt. Sam Worsham said.

The accident happened around 2 a.m. in the westbound lanes near Riverside Drive. Simpson pulled his tow truck behind a Mercedes-Benz SUV, which was stopped in the center lanes after hitting a center median, Worsham said.

“When he exited his vehicle to check on the driver, he was struck by a passing vehicle,” Worsham said.

The Sandy Springs traffic unit is still investigating. Anyone with information should contact police.

RESOURCE LINK

Police search for driver who hit tow truck driver on I-285, kept going

- Sandy Springs Police are searching for a driver who slammed into a tow truck driver on Interstate 285 and kept going. It happened near the Riverside Drive exit. Two weeks later, the tow truck driver was just released from the hospital.

Darrell Simpson was heading home in his tow truck when he saw a driver who had lost control of her car and crashed.

He was on the phone with 911 when he saw another car heading toward him.

"I tried to jump out of the way and still got struck by the car. I remember car tires flying past my head," said Simpson.

It was Simpson who then needed help. Another driver stopped to see what he could do.

"He thought it was a deer in the road and he got out and realized it was a person, I was trying to get him to help me up and I realized both my legs were mangled," said Simpson.

Simpson said both of his femurs and his tibia were broken and were replaced with titanium rods. He was in the hospital for two weeks. He just got out of the hospital and struggles to get around with a walker. The driver of the car that hit him is on the run.

Simpson said he's not pushing for the driver to be arrested, but he does hope the driver comes forward.

"I'd rather them come forward and their insurance can pay my medical bills so I can feed my family. I'm not worried about someone sitting in jail for this," said Simpson.

Simpson said through pieces of the car that were found at the scene, and a side mirror that landed in Simpson's tow truck, investigators have determined the car that hit him is a newer model Toyota Rav 4.

Anyone with information about the wreck should call Sandy Springs Police.

RESOURCE LINK with video

• Sad 1

Thought's & Prayer for this Tow Operator listed in Critical Condition. I have searched for any updates as the is now been more then 12 hours. Do we have any members in Georgia that can provide further details and the current status of the Tow Operator?

UPDATE:

One of the Georgia HERO Drivers Posted this on a FB Group>

TOW OPERATOR HIT last night - I-285 in Atlanta.
Operator taken to the hospital in critical condition
No Company Name on Truck -

UPDATE: per police on scene he’s expected to be okay.
He was taken from the scene to surgery.

• Thanks 1

I am his fiancé, currently with him right now. He suffered from a left femur fracture and a right tibia fracture. By the grace of God he should make a full recovery. He has two blood clots, one on each of his lungs. Closely monitoring that. But the physical therapist should be in today to help get him back on his feet.

still no updates on finding the driver who hit him.

Here’s my email if y’all want anymore updates. Lauren.henson23@gmail.com