Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Looking for a mentor to teaching me The towing business?

I'm from Los Angeles, California and I'm looking for someone that can teach me the business. I have my own tow truck wrecker. I'm not looking for money. Just to learn if you have the time it will be highly appreciated it. And please do be like this broker agent kind if you know what I mean. Please hit me up... 

Edited by TonyDuraTow

I think you need to go to work for someone and learn their business model. You need to put in the time and commitment and stay at least a year. You should be up front if they are wanting to send you to training at their expense if they are willing to pay for it. After you learn how things are done at one or two companies then you will have an idea as to what you are getting into. In California you have to deal with oppressive state regulation in addition to all other trials and tribulations. This is not an easy industry to break into and automatically, right out of the gate, make a decent living. It takes a tremendous amount of sacrifice and dedication to make it. There is only so much pie, and everyone wants to carve out a bigger slice for themselves. You will find that the biggest obstacle to overcome in this industry is the people within the industry. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for feedback and i seen how people are cutthroat in this side of lifestyle. It no difference where i'm coming from the only thing is we deal with it in a different way.  And i have took a class already and i paid im full with no discount. And i can say i did learn something there. He was a great instructor. And then the following week i did it in a real situation and guess what i didnt even get paid for it. You see goodmichael they way i see it. im paying for my owen paying outta my pocket and that is expensive. Im not asking no one for a handle out. But there rules in all kinds of life styles we choose even on the bads ones. and even you gotta pay for it. So if someone does something to me dont get all mad at me larter and start talking to everyone. Just take it as it comes. Just like i did and i dont want a big piece of the pie i just want what i ask for. the peple i know in ths industry i dont bug them i asked one or two one said to give him 200,000.00 just to let me in. Then other 200,000.00 to train. I asked him what you gonna do with that money. He said i would really get a nice yard get new truck and stuff. and this guy been doing this for a while. he likes my truck its better then his. so i ask him well you been doing this for 15 years plus so why dont you get credit from the bank homie why you gotta come at me like that. i worked hard to saved my money to get this. just like you got all this. but you need to change your attitude with people. you go around asking for discounts but when its now you to do the same you dont and thats why no one likes you. Thanks good micheal and thats not the only story i got since i my truck and wanting to work for a living now. im going on a year now. 

California is a beautiful state, but it is one of the most oppressive states towards business. If you are able to afford insurance to get started then I would start out by handing out business cards to every shop and dealership. You also need to sit down and discover exactly what it costs you to run a call. This includes your truck, insurance, maintenance, insurance, taxes, permits,labor, and fuel. I would guess that your costs in California are close to a hundred dollars to just start the truck You need to make a profit on every call you run. You will see people running calls for less than their cost. These people will have, keep, and struggle to maintain run down equipment. Profit is your best friend.   

• Thanks 1

Yes and i agree 100 percent on what you just said. And im doing this for money. I have the cash for insurance i paid my truck cash for it. its all mine. i got business cards. i talk to people and i know how to read. this is where i tell you why i said i know how to read. so lets just say brokers agent what ever they called them selfs rite nasty people they will sell there moms. i can show them what are the requirements for insurance they asking from me. and they will say to me well no this is what you need to get. then they just dont know about the industry to. i done my research on it and i thinki done a pretty good job doing it already. i got my ca number , dot number, paid for my motor carrier permit now this brokers are playing with me. they ask me for the down payment so i take it to them then i see its aloan for insurance i ask them how come you didnt ask me to bring you the whole thing. arent you listening to me. dont go base on that computer.  then  im pretty good with computers. i see what they doing with our data bro. and is not a good thing. i dont mine getting dirty to make a money if someone ask me to go cut there grass i will if they pay me. and i got a trade i went to college. i learn something and i do use it to make money. What kind of truck you got?

Do not rely on brokers or motor clubs to feed your business. They are like a tick, siphoning off the profits. I would attend every training you can afford to go to. Get Wreckmaster certified, go to the RBU classes and learn all of the safety aspects you can. I would also obtain a copy of Dave Ramsey's book entitled Entree Leadership. Read it. Do everything you can to avoid debt for survival in this industry. When you borrow money, you are working for the bank as well as yourself. The banks always have a lot of chrome, stainless steel, marble tile, and beautiful landscaping at their facilities. You paid for it. Banks and finance companies are not your friends. That saying keep your friends close and your enemies closer could not describe financial entities any better. A few are decent, but they are all looking to slice off that little piece of the pie. 

If you have all of your permits and numbers it is a marketing strategy that you need. ALWAYS have a business card ready to hand out. Some grocery stores and retailers have coupons that can be put on the back of the customer receipt. Offer to give churches a certificate for a certain value for a tow as a silent auction prize. Advertise in church bulletins. I do not know how heavily your market relies on online presence, it is almost becoming a requirement to have an online presence. 

Do things the proper way. If you have a deck truck, ALWAYS utilize a four point tie down. Be known and develop a reputation for being a professional. 

• Thanks 1

Not familiar with them. WreckMaster is a great outfit and is well known and recognized.

One other bit of advice I have is to not grow your business too fast. Many people find that they make less money with more trucks.

Law enforcement towing is a tricky business. They require specific equipment, extra insurance, and 24/7/365 availability. As well as a secure storage yard facility. There is money on the table but one sometimes turns down business to be available only to wind up with nothing if the phone does not ring.

Know and control your costs. 

Well thanks for your advice one thing for sure. i just want to work make some money to help my parents. both my parents are sick if they wasnt sick i wouldnt even care for work. i would be a bum for life. im just disappointed how the other side of life works. and there the ones pointing fingers. little then they know they live worst and it all a lie to get a few dollars.