Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Amtrak train crashes into tow truck pulling car off tracks in Charlotte (NC)

TowNews

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - An accident involving a train and a tow truck may change your morning commute. CMPD is on scene after an Amtrack train hit a tow truck as it was towing a vehicle on the tracks at McLean Road at Old Concord Road. Officials say no one was injured in the incident.

The road is shutdown as crews work to clear the accident from the tracks. You’re asked to use WT Harris Boulevard, University City Boulevard or Back Creek Church Road as alternate routes.

RESOURCE LINK with video

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A busy road in Charlotte was closed early Friday after an Amtrak train collided with a tow truck, WSOC reports.

The collision happened before 4 a.m. at the intersection of Old Concord Road and McLean Road in the area of University City.

Police told WSOC the train hit the truck as it was towing a car off the tracks.

No one was hurt. It is still unclear how many people were on the train.

McLean Road was closed, and officials have not said when they expect the area to reopen.

RESOURCE LINK

gs-ucty-mclean-rd-train-vs-truck-raw_156

En route I make sure the train traffic is stopped, on scene I confirm the train traffic is stopped. I do not go onto the tracks until I have confirmation. The train can hit the vehicle, as long as I am not hooked to it. I have know few that thought they could race to beat the next train. Going up against a train is a bad idea.

I've written narrative extensively about working railroad right-of-way and protocols as to stay-off and away from train and trolley tracks. Ron is correct to mention CONFIRM that rail traffic has been notified; however, never assume that a train's operator has been notified. I have recorded (in many years) 15x strikes involving a train versus tow truck crash, to include losing our friend Shaun Riddle in December 2015 after he was struck by an Amtrak train.  For train survival techniques, visit Operation Lifesaver's website:  https://oli.org/training/professional-drivers and take tessional truck drivers challenge. If your computer is set up to run the video, take the challenge and print out a certificate at the end of the training ... put it in your training file. Note; The training has nothing to do with on-scene protocol. Your best safety defense is STAY OFF AND AWAY FROM THE TRACKS.     R.

Randall C. Resch