Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

California Tow Operator Killed - July 11, 2019

rreschran

Hi All ... More sad news

A, 31-year-old, Camarillo, California, tow truck operator was killed yesterday evening while in-process of towing a day-cab semi. While the details are not yet told, the CHP reported a tow truck was towing a truck down a steep hill and went off the roadway and over-turned. The pictures from the news reports show a rolled semi-looking truck that doesn’t appear to be your conventional tow truck, but a semi-tractor having a fifth-wheel plate. It doesn’t look like a DTU-type truck either. On the front of the other truck looks to be a truck tow bar leading me to think that the truck was being flat-towed (this is only my guess based on the photos and my speculation only ... please don't quote me). A passenger in the towing truck survived the crash, so details should be made public as this investigation continues. None the less, Christine and I send our prayers to the tow operator’s family and the company he worked for.    R.

https://www.keyt.com/news/tow-truck-driver-dies-after-crashing-onto-a-golf-course-in-camarillo/1094504489

Randall C. Resch

Tow truck driver dies after crashing onto a golf course in Camarillo

CAMARILLO, Calif. - A tow truck driver was killed after he lost control of his truck, and drove down an embankment near the Las Posas Country Club. 

It happened ten minutes before 8:00 p.m. Thursday night, on Fairway Drive just north of Deseo Drive.

The California Highway Patrol does not know why the driver lost control of his vehicle. He wa towing another semi-truck at the time of the crash. 

The driver has been identified as 31 year old Romeo Marquez from Panorama City. 

The Ventura County Fire Department said the passenger suffered minor injuries, and was not transported for any injuries. 

This crash happened around the same time as another fatal crash nearly six miles away in the Oxnard Plains.

After reviewing the images. I am not sure this is a Tow Truck. Sadly. the news media thinks anything towing a vehicle is a Tow Truck. I am sure we will find out soon enough, until then I will hold off on counting this as a Tower Down.

Randy, I would concur with your guess about being flat towed. Perhaps it was a company trying to self-rescue one of their own trucks, or a transporter doing driveaway/towaway work? Whatever the vocation, it is sad that someone lost their life in this event.

Ron is right to hold off on my notice ... at least until an official clarification is made. I'm working with my sources to try and determine if this was a towing company that was doing the towing. I can only argue that there are hundreds, if not thousands of tow companies that operate a semi truck that's equipped with a fifth-wheel plate and is used to haul semi-trailers, a Landoll, a DTU, and includes flat-towing for hire. Like Brian said ... it is sad that someone lost their life.   R. 

Randall C. Resch