Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

What do you use for Credit Card processing in your trucks?

We are looking to deploy credit card machines to the field with our drivers and want to know what you all have and if you like it or not. We have used the cellular machines from the bank without much success; they are either dead battery or out of service area too often. They are also too expensive to deploy with each driver on call ($400 each) I like the Square Deal thing to plug into the iPads we issue to the drivers but don't know much about them. We use Towbook software so if it integrates into that it would be real nice.

Please tell me your thoughts. 

Mark

Mark

I have used Square for years. No issues. Love it. If your iPads are cellular activated already then your cost to equip them with square will be minimal. While Square is certainly not the cheapest platform percentage wise, for me at least, the fact that it is so easy to use and payment next business day is a win of my one man low volume credit card operation.

• 1 month later...

Another one for Square. Each driver gets a processor and is responsible for it. All funnels into the business account and frees up the phones. Square is 2.7% if you have the card in hand. Like someone else has said, they are a few cheaper options out there but we have been with Square since their inception and have had zero issues. We've been approached by our bank with processors but there seems to be too much fine print and unknowns for us to switch. 

Edited by Central Towing

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

One reason I come and play on TowForce is for the entertainment value it provides. When I saw the opening teaser asking about credit card processing, and being the consummate old duffer that I am, I immediately flashed on the old, slide-style, credit machines I had in all of my trucks and the business office. Once considered state of the art beyond hand-printing, these machines were awkward to use and required the user to be diligent in seeing that all of the raised numbers from the credit card came through the carbon paper. Quite honestly ... I hated having to use them, but, there were no chips to deal with, no plug-in modules and no instant verification. They didn't stall and a server wouldn't go down, but, they were otherwise problematic in the rain, and, when stored under the tow truck's seat, the dust caused even more problems. There were plenty of other problems associated with credit card machines, but, when they worked well, they were far better than trying to read a driver's unreadable printing. But, as we all know, they went the way of the dinosaur as technology marched on. I'm sure many of you remember them.    R.

Credit Card Machine.jpg

Edited by rreschran
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Randall C. Resch

We use paymetech through Chase bank. No card readers to fall out of the truck or sliders to fail right when you need them. We are a small mom & pop operation but it only takes about 3 minutes to call in and answer three questions. Been using them for 15 years and never had one bit of trouble, and they send an invoice ones a month that we just turn over to the book keeper.

Answering my own question or updating everyone that replied:

I spoke with Fattmerchant and Square about it. We spoke with Towbook at Atlantic City and the told us about they were integrating with Square. We had been using smaller handheld machines from PNC Bank branded Clover. When we called them to see what our obligations were prior to cancelling the service and they advised we could buy more of the handhelds but no other solution they were aware of. Then one of the office ladies ran across the "Clover App" that works on all of our company issued ipads for each driver. This has been a great solution for us so far although we will likely migrate to square with integration to Towbook when that happens.

Thanks for all the great replies everyone and Randy I have one of those old back and forth swipers on the shelf in the back room just in case we have another y2k or the like. :)

Mark

Hey Mark ... One of my favorite local restaurants had one of those incessant SDG&E power outages we're famous for here in Southern California. When the power went out, they whipped-out an old-style credit card machine and it was business as usual. Here's to hoping that we'll still have power during y3k.     R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

On 2/3/2020 at 12:57 PM, rreschran said:

One reason I come and play on TowForce is for the entertainment value it provides. When I saw the opening teaser asking about credit card processing, and being the consummate old duffer that I am, I immediately flashed on the old, slide-style, credit machines I had in all of my trucks and the business office. Once considered state of the art beyond hand-printing, these machines were awkward to use and required the user to be diligent in seeing that all of the raised numbers from the credit card came through the carbon paper. Quite honestly ... I hated having to use them, but, there were no chips to deal with, no plug-in modules and no instant verification. They didn't stall and a server wouldn't go down, but, they were otherwise problematic in the rain, and, when stored under the tow truck's seat, the dust caused even more problems. There were plenty of other problems associated with credit card machines, but, when they worked well, they were far better than trying to read a driver's unreadable printing. But, as we all know, they went the way of the dinosaur as technology marched on. I'm sure many of you remember them.    R.

I still have one of those things !!! I just cant bring myself to get rid of it... lol For modern technology I use go-payment from my quick books system. The payment goes right into my business account and i havent had any issues with it in the 2+ years ive been using it.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 9 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 3:34 PM, ProTower said:

We are looking to deploy credit card machines to the field with our drivers and want to know what you all have and if you like it or not. We have used the cellular machines from the bank without much success; they are either dead battery or out of service area too often. They are also too expensive to deploy with each driver on call ($400 each) I like the Square Deal thing to plug into the iPads we issue to the drivers but don't know much about them. We use Towbook software so if it integrates into that it would be real nice.

Please tell me your thoughts. 

Mark

Hi Mark:

My name is Teri.  Please give me a call.  I can help you with your payment processing in the field.  My son also is in the towing business.  I don't know what you're currently using but it doesn't cost you anything to give me a quick call so I can give you some options.  I have been doing this for a really long time and I've helped businesses like yours save anywhere from 40-60% overall.  Your money deposited into your account next day and we never raise our prices. 847-651-0424.  Looking forward to helping you cut costs and put more profits back into your pockets. 

On 8/13/2019 at 7:13 PM, Central Towing said:

Another one for Square. Each driver gets a processor and is responsible for it. All funnels into the business account and frees up the phones. Square is 2.7% if you have the card in hand. Like someone else has said, they are a few cheaper options out there but we have been with Square since their inception and have had zero issues. We've been approached by our bank with processors but there seems to be too much fine print and unknowns for us to switch. 

Hi my name is Teri.  I understand that sometimes people don't like change.  When you are using Square, every card you're taking, you're paying for at a corporate rate.  Also when you go through a bank, they don't do the processing as it is a conflict of interest so in that case, you're paying 2 parties....the bank and the processor.  We are a direct processor and there is no fine print.  All fully disclosed and funds in the bank next day.  No BS.  Give me a call, I would love to do a free analysis for you.  If you're currently processing for example, $10K/month with square, @ 2.7 you're paying about $270 in fees plus $0.25 per transaction.  With us you would be paying about $175 or less in fees and $0.10 per transaction. I can be reached at 847-651-0424

6 minutes ago, someotherplace said:

Hi Teri, could you provide us a business name, website, etc. so that one might check out your company?

Richard

Hi Richard,  How are you?  I appreciate you reaching out to me.  Here is my email.  Send me an email with your info and I will be happy to send you some information.  I will tell you everything you need to know.       tfaklaris@gotnp.com  My company is called TransNational.  I work with businesses all over the country helping them to be in a better position than they are currently.  I provide world class customer service and the phone number I listed is my cell number so that all my merchants can reach me at anytime.  We also have a 24/7customer service number.  Funds are deposited into you bank the next day.  Everything is fully disclosed. Nothing hidden.  45 day risk free trial as well.  We also don't raise our rates.

I also have references if needed.

Typically when I am talking to a merchant, whether in the towing business or any other business for that matter, I take a look at a current statement to see what is actually going on.  With all the recent mergers and acquisitions of the Big corporate processing companies, they have spent Billions of dollars to merge and acquire one another.  Since all the covid started, a large number of businesses had been closed down either temporarily or permanently.  These processing companies are now changing current rate structures because they are panicked with losing billions of dollars over the past several months.  The best way for them to recoup that money is to add extra fees, pad the cost of the cards also know as the interchange and create ridiculous fees.................and they inflict that on you, the merchant.  Very unprofessional, unethical practices.  If you are already in a good spot, I will tell you.  The last thing I want to do is waste your time or my time.  Not everyone qualifies for our rates.  Unfortunately, I can't help everyone.  Just give me 1% of your trust and let me earn the other 99%. That's all I am asking.  I know many merchants have been burned in the past.  For that I apologize.  I know I have been burned over the years doing business with some companies.  Have you ever had a bad pizza?  Did that keep you from ever eating another one? If I can help you cut some unnecessary costs and put those profits back into your pocket, isn't that a win for your business?