Quantcast
  • Come join the TowForce community.

Sign in to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

jerr dan ??

Melville

I am looking at a older (much) wheel lift wrecker made by jerr dan, it has a auto matic wheel lift grid. best desribed as wedges that hydraulically move under the tire when closed, thus tire sits atop grid/wedge. does anyone know the name of this lift and or possibly the model #?

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2019 at 3:03 PM, Melville said:

I am looking at a older (much) wheel lift wrecker made by jerr dan, it has a auto matic wheel lift grid. best desribed as wedges that hydraulically move under the tire when closed, thus tire sits atop grid/wedge. does anyone know the name of this lift and or possibly the model #?

The name of Jerr Dan's original  wheelift was named the "Jerr Lift" . The claws and crossbar moved in, out and laterally left and right, to center it under the vehicle, then the claws closed under the tires, to lift it and Strap it down from the front to the back of the front tires. I sold them, while working at the factory store that was in Fontana, Calif, in 1986.   Needless to say"They do not make em like that" any longer.

spacer.png

Tow Truck Exchange Inc.

Wally T - 951-575-6393

I ran one a for a short time and found the side to side feature useful. The the only true drawback I can recall was the method used to strap the wheels the metal grid which the strap was attached to would not always insert properly. Oh yeah and there was an issue with the wheel lift limiting the boom reach. Anyone else recall these type of units and have experiences to share?

If you haven't been around the industry more than a decade then you likely never even saw one. I have not seen one in a very long time myself.

tow-truck-jerr-dan-lift-bed-only-1321414

Found on a 2017 Equipment for list page, $100.00 http://jingletruck.com/tow-truck-jerr-dan-68131

On 7/3/2019 at 3:03 PM, Melville said:

It was the first Auto loader Jerr Dan made in the late 1980's and it was named "Jerr Lift". They had a good idea but the lateral movement caused issues and vehicle tie down was an issue too. They didn't last long and I doubt if parts are available.

spacer.png

Tow Truck Exchange Inc.

Wally T - 951-575-6393

• 2 years later...
On 7/3/2019 at 6:03 PM, Melville said:

Yeah jerr lift they were great trucks hard to find i helped my dad when I was a teenager run them he had 5 86 and 87 models and original eagle claws great truck except springs 👍 

• 3 months later...

I just started working for a tow company and my truck has the Jerr-Lift body. Up/down, in/out/ and side-to-side. It's not very good with low clearance vehicles. The boom arm lowers and raises at an angle so it hits front spoilers and even tow receivers on the back of pickups and SUV's. Mine is on a 2008 F-550 Super Duty diesel.