Quantcast
  • Come join the TowForce community.

Sign in to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Riviera Tow Truck Operator Killed (TX) UPDATED

TowNews

A 24-year-old man was killed Thursday afternoon in an accident in the parking lot of the Love's Truck Stop in Kingsville.

According to a press release from the Kingsville Police Department, officers were called to the scene of an accident in the parking lot of the truck stop, located in the 1400 block of N. U.S. Hwy. 77, shortly after 3:30 p.m. Thursday.

Upon arrival, officers learned that a Kingsville wrecker service was loading a 2015 Chevrolet pickup truck when a cable broke and the truck rolled down the ramp of the wrecker.

The wrecker employee, identified as Daniel Semanko, 24, of Riviera, attempted to stop the truck from rolling but was injured as he was pinned between the truck and an 18-wheeler in the parking lot.

Emergency personnel from the Kingsville Fire Department transported the man to Christus Spohn Hospital-Kleberg, where was pronounced dead an hour later.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.

RESOURCE LINK

A Riviera man was killed after he was pinned between two vehicles while trying to load a pickup truck onto a wrecker and the cable snapped.

Cmdr. Bradley Lile, with the Kingsville Police Department, in a news release said police responded just after 3:30 p.m. to a major accident in the parking lot of a gas station in the 1400 block of N. U.S. Highway 77. A wrecker service had been in the process of loading a 2015 Chevrolet pickup truck onto a trailer when a cable broke and the vehicle began rolling down the ramp.

One of the company's employees, identified as 24-year-old Daniel Semanko, ran to the pickup truck in an attempt to stop it from rolling, Lile said. Semanko wound up being pinned between an 18-wheeler and the pickup truck, he said, when the latter struck the tractor-trailer.

Kingsville Fire Department emergency medical technicians arrived and transported Semanko to Christus Spohn Hospital Kleberg, the release states, but he was pronounced dead about an hour later.

RESOURCE LINK

• Sad 1

Condolences to the Family, Friends and Co-Workers.

Such a tragic work place accident, please Owners review this with your employees and Drivers review this with your co-workers. This type of event it seems occurs in our industry at least once a year on average. I have to admit in my youth I made poor decisions and lucked out. Never Ever Get Behind a vehicle in an attempt to stop it from rolling the outcome is often like trying to beat a train across the tracks. Don't Do It, nothing is worth more than your life. Gods Speed Young Tow Truck Driver...

Ron mentioned the need to discuss chasing a runaway vehicle after it disconnects and rolls away. I went back to count as many as 43-tow operators pinned or run-over in past years. This is such a tragic loss, but I understand the mentality that comes with seeing a customer's car violently roll away or that of a tow truck when the e-brake let's go.

Christine and I send our prayers and sympathy to this young man's family and the company he worked for.  So sad.    R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch