Quantcast
Knighthawk Towing

Anybody ever done a 6.6 Duramax Swap into one of their trucks

I have a 92 Topkick with the 366 Gasser in it. OLD, Reliable, and gets the job done. will not however pass even a closed/boarded up Gas station.  I picked up a 2008 Crew cab Duramax and a seriously considering transplanting the 6.6 into my medium duty. process seems pretty straight forward and easy to do.  Just looking for input from others who have done this, or know someone who has.  trying to broaden my knowledge base 🙂

Posted (edited)

It can be done but it will be a lot of work wire harness fuel lines Gearing in the trans gearing in the rearend Motor mounts trans mounts driveshift

Edited by carl4tow

my truck already has the Allison transmission so all I am planning to use is the Engine.I figure the Allison in my truck is probably stronger than the Allison 1000 that came in the 08  I have found a company that makes a stand alone harness that eliminates everything but whaat the engine needs to run. looks pretty promising.  they also flash the computer so that the complete system is stand alone.

Posted (edited)

How/what mechanism are you going to use for the ecm/pcm. That engine is fairly computercentric. There has to be a driver to work the electronics. Had a swap of one of those completed close to 18 months ago. It took a good four months to get all the bugs worked out, and that was a direct swap. Do extensive research on that harness. Are they custom building it here in the states? The electronics aspect is the scariest part of this deal. 

Edited by goodmichael

Posted (edited)

there is a company here in the states called DMAXSWAP.COM that will take your Donor Harness, and remove all the excess wiring and make it the stand alone harness. they will also take your donor ecm and tune it to run just the engine. eliminating the factory gauges, security chip, emissions, ect to just run the engine.  I don't need all the computerized Allison stuff because my Allison is completely mechanical.  I have talked with several folks who have used this company and for the most part they are supposed to be pretty much plug and play. unless you are trying to do something weird like use the cruise control for throttle up, ect.  when you get the harness and ECM back it has it's own fuse block, you hook up a constant hot, switched hot, and a ground.  supposedly all the electronics on the engine will work and function as they are supposed to.  they say the hardest part is the intercooler piping and hooking up your mechanical gauges. but I am still doing my research.  like to be fully informed before I pull the trigger.

Edited by Knighthawk Towing

Bro, I hear what you are saying. All these computers that integrate are a real pain in the butt. I see burn jobs with close to a mile of copper filament in tumbleweed balls and I just shake my head. Henry Ford would probably do the same. Let us know how the project is going along the way. 

Have a great weekend. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to TowForce.net

Wanting to join the rest of our members?

Feel free to sign up today.