Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

My first fork tow and second

Topic Originally Created in February of 2007:

Towed these vehicles yesterday. I had never used the forks before and I had a little time to work with at that point in the day so I used the forks to tow these. I could have wheel lifted or slung the van and the Dakota I could have slung but I had just got done with the van when the guy with the Dakota called and said he had lost a wheel. As you can see I picked the Dodge with the Reese hitch. The van I forked the frame just behind the cross member. You can't see in the pic but the cross member had a flange sticking out in the middle keeping the fork from sliding to the rear of the van. Am looking for comments and suggestions. When I towed the van I stopped to check the tie down chain and it had loosened up some. Other than that I was pretty happy they way they handled. I couldn't feel any movement and felt real solid. I would have liked to have a little more lift to add ground clearance but they didn't drag and I put both in neutral.

BP0207A.jpg

BP0207B.jpg

BP0207C.jpg

BP0207D.jpg

BP0207E.jpg

BP0207F.jpg

BP0207G.jpg

Edited by mooresbp

George - - Moore's BP
We'll see you on down the road

Capptow said:

looks good to me. Some times those jobs are harder than large trucks.
ryan

jhook5230 r52_1559570274.gif said:

George....you're a pretty good forker...lol...about the clearance problem....do you have taller forks or is that the only set the vulcan came with?

mooresbp r55_1559570275.gif said:

That is the only set I have. I thought about having a friend of mine at the welding shop make some extentions but didn't know about the liability of it.emoticonconfused.gifGeorgeMoore's BP

Jerrys Road Service said:

Looks ok ya i would look at getting taller forks and Defintly some spring forks they are a short reach under lifts friend.

Scott Burrows r55_1559570275.gif said:

My suggestion is to purchase them one pair at a time, getting only the one's you forsee a need for. Life's too short to have one of the vehicle's you're towing pass you!

Wreckerman05 said:

i love those reese hitches-it s easy hook-up--they seem to just tow better also when hook-up this way--

Stapleytowing said:

I like the reese hitch hook up, And the van looks OK, just wondering what holds the Van back, if you jam on the brakes? would it not slide ahead. I can see the crossmember holds it from sliding back. Am I wrong just curious

Schu said:

I have done those 1-ton vans the same way ..... I have a set of 7" stands ( I think zips has them for about 300.00 a set ) they help get the vehicle up a bit higher.

joefromjd said:

George talk to Bert at Trebron. he can build you anything you need. hes in coralville just to the north of you.

mooresbp r55_1559570275.gif said:

Bryce
That is why I chained the way I did. I put the chain from the crossbar then to the back side of the fork then over the frame to the other side and around the frame and by the fork again. Like I said this was my first one and wasn't 100 percent sure but I thought that would keep it from moving back on the fork.

Joe
Thanks for the idea, I had forgotten they are there, they are still in the same place, they didn't get moved on that project in Coralville?

Brian
Can't honestly answer that question. It belongs to a Baptist church here, don't know if that means anything or not. They are real good customers. They have a fleet of about 20 school (church) buses and two or three of these big vans. I have towed the other red van a couple of times in the last few months. I tow buses for them too. They go all over (up to 75 miles) to pick up kids for Sunday school. The preacher also has about 6 or 7 vehicles that break down periodicly. (sp). They are going to retire this vanemoticoncry.gif I towed it to the shop that does all there work and they are going to part it out.GeorgeMoore's BP