Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Helping out Flourtown Sunoco  

Topic Originally Created on Tow411 in August of 2009:

Flourtown Sunoco received a Police Duty Tow for a broken trailer on a rural road in Whitemarsh Township. The police requested that they come look at the damage before dispatching any equipment to the scene. I responded at the request of Tom Gerstlauer to overview the situation and make a recommendation as to what equipment would be needed.

We came up with a recovery plan together that included unloading the trailer onto their Landoll and then towing the mess to their shop. As you can see we removed the roof out of the trailer,it was damaged beyond repair, and lifted the 22 rolls of paper out. Each one weighed 2003-2015 lbs. I was trying not to have to use the Air cushions but after we took the weight off of the rear the trailer started to buckle more cause of the weight on the center. So in 2 cushions went and they were inflated to bring up the belly of the trailer. The remaining load was removed and the trailer was towed from the scene.

As you can see the EVIL PIN PULLER STRUCK ON THIS ONE, BUT IT WAS FUNNY HE HAD A UNIFORM ON THIS TIME.

e3a1575afb930cc5ce96528a4d649f11ade2e4e.

9f115152f99008ca8f228b44cdbc05f36c07c0a.

27b25cb5d7ff2982051cb5d648b07e4d9cafdf6.

5bf25ad537f759c5087c056aff5ae4484d7deeb.

5fb356e35d2dfbd7951c0ec6c043e82f332f609.

a28358a354a8f3509afe0245c8f2c1d003964fd.

6c91535df49700c0f7b8db61b5f78d8fd75b664.

JAMIE DOUGHERTY
JANEWAY TOWING

teams251 said:

What did he hit a tree limb?

Dennis said:

Was this due to an improper load? Looks like the trailer just buckled. I sure enjoy seeing what you fellows do for a living. I have been very impressed with the skills and knowledge it takes to do these jobs safely and in a timely manner. Tip of the hat to all wrecker operators.

rotator60 said:

A Evil Pin Puller in uniform is a PPP..Professional Pin Puller..lol...That was a great show of Teamwork..a great plan executed to perfection..Thanks for sharing..

Jamie Dougherty said:

The unit was going down the road and a tree fell on top of the trailer according to a witness that was behind the truck. The township roadcrew removed some of the tree but we had to lift off the trunk off of the roof so that they could cut it up.

Scott what do you call him when he had a badge and a gun?
JAMIE DOUGHERTY
JANEWAY TOWING

Dennis said:
Jamie...thank you for the reply. I went back and took a second look at the pictures and the tree is very evident. Nice job on the recovery.

Rick Hunter said:
please explain how the recovery strap is wrapped to keep the roll somewhat level we get this a lot.

ftown tow said:
Jamie, thanks for the assistance on this job. I just wish someone would come and get the load off our trailer and out of our shop. Rick , WE basicllay wrapped two straps around the lowest part of the rolls and choked them directly across from each other, It did take some practice and time to get it right, I think by the 21st roll we got it down pretty good. We actually ended up using endless loops, they seem to work better!

transtow said:
Jamie that ain't no Vulcan but it works. LOL.
I just wanted to point that out Cook would love it. I hope Barn gets on here.

Bigsky1 said:
Alot of work I'm sure, But your crew made it look easy Job well done.
Thanks for the post, Look like a very tight place to work.
Jody..........Sturgill Family Towing...

Jeff Hurley said:
Looks like the remote was really handy. The right team for the job!

ftown tow said:
After going back and forth with the broker, the ins co., the paper co. They finally settled on a price for the job, However they would not except the rolls unless they were in an enclosed trailer . I rented a forklift with a paper roll clamp and transferred the load into Janeway's trailer and delivered the load to the warehouse!

61c8c5ad5eea468b756a3b478b8ac06dabc519fd
cd25a122a6903867825088d343a4d994c810f8bf
a730862f2b7aaf1e633f7ec9af82dc24fb7bcdb3

jimmypinktruck said:
Nice job, sometimes it takes a long time to finally get paid. The lengths you have to go to.

Karlstowing said:
nice work guys way to work together and make some $$$

wvtowman said:
nice lookin job!! should have paid well once you got paid!!

BMB1989 said:
nice job guys....looks like you had fun

Scooby said:
so whats that about...lol
i'll have to right this down
e73256d5ee9a22da85e3379546f31ee83c08250.

wbtowman said:
Nice job.I always put half inch plywood on the top of the air cushions when I do a job like that to avoid punctures.

Dave Lemke said:
nice job jamie, how did you figure the wieght of each roll so you new how much you were picking????? i know that big monster on the side would handle it but did you ever calculate how much you were picking????

Jamie Dougherty said:
Dave if you look in picture 2 there is a large sticker on the roll, on there is all of the pertinant information on each roll. I checked the first several rolls and they were all with in a few pounds of each other. I hope this will help you.
JAMIE DOUGHERTY
JANEWAY TOWING

Joe Cummings said:
Nice looking units. I like that pretty red Trail King. How long did it take you guys to find that little Hyster with the clamp? Sometimes I have a clamp truck sitting around the shop. Sometimes I don't. just saying

ftown tow said:
Joe, I called Modern and it was ready to go within a days notice.

Joe Cummings said:
Yeah Modern can be pretty good. Sometimes I go out to pick up trucks for junk. Every once in a while a clamp attachment comes through. I ought to save one. My little Baker diesel has a 3rd valve on it. Probably come in handy for a lot of stuff.

Good Idea though to rent it. Those paper rolls are expensive stuff. Really hard on a van trailer though. There used to be a lot of them going in and out of Lansdale.

Hope you got paid well. Those paper companies are always cheap. They think everyone is an asphalt cowboy.

• Like 1