Quantcast
  • Come join the TowForce community.

Sign in to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Grandfather dies trying to stop repo driver (TX)

TowNews

• 2 weeks later...

There is no car that is worth putting another human being's life in jeopardy. TDLR would do well to stop just being a money tick and do something worthwhile and mandate that those who repossess vehicles or collateral at least be familiar with what a breach of the peace, illegal acts, as well as the fair debt collection practices act is all about. This incident at least fails the breach of the peace standard. I am not kicking a person when they are down, but a person died for a piece of crap hunk of plastic and tin with a mile of copper wire thrown in. Every car is a piece of crap compared to a human life. I have repossessed vehicles and been in a tight spot or two. If in doubt I will release the car. I found it once, I will find it again. There are 7 million car notes that are 90+ days so even if I do not,  they are like Lay's potato chips, they will make more.

• Like 2

goodmichael you are correct. "If in doubt I will release the car. I found it once, I will find it again."

There is always another day, this repo agent is without a doubt facing serious charges. If asked was it worth it what would he say. I know I would rather deal with the confrontation then take a chance. I don't care what age the debtor is... I have dealt with them all at one time or another.

Being a consummate professional is the number one requirement for a recovery agent. When I picked up cars decades ago for a particular agency who was a member of Time Finance Adjusters, I always wore a sportscoat as well as docker style pants when I spoke to field contacts. I was able to get so much more information by dressing like a professional rather than someone who just left a bar at 2am. I also would not drive up to a neighbors or debtors home in a recovery vehicle and proceed to ask questions. I drove a discreet sedan. Did I tell little white lies to glean information on the debtor? Of course, but I always followed the law. When I was picking up units at 2 am that was a different story, I dressed down for comfort. My goal is, 100% of the time to not have ANY contact with a debtor, whatsoever, unless the transaction is a voluntary surrender. I do not want to be seen or heard. If a debtor or third party jumps onto or into the unit as I am taking possession, all bets are off, I am leaving the unit. If a debtor jumps in the unit and speeds away and has a collision just up the road, you can bet a number one with an extra sandwich from Chic fil a that you as well as your company will be the party to a lawsuit. Remember, you make no money sitting in a courthouse.

Be professional at all times. Follow the laws 100 % of the time. This includes the fair debt collection practices act.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.