Quantcast
Orcas Tow

New F650 Ford 6.7 diesel, Ford trans reliability?

Looking into a 2019 F650, wondering what the scale weight on an air brake, standard cab F650 with the Ford 6.7 V8 diesel & 21' steel deck is? Anyone have  some history with the new 6.7 & Ford trans, Issues, etc...? Thanks

For what its worth, I have a 2017 f650 extended cab air ride air brake auto 6.7L with aluminum jerrdan and wheel lift, four aluminum wheels two steel and two half loaded 48" tool boxes, fueled up and DEFd up 16200 with me driving. Also, knock on wood, so far no issues with 17k miles. Averaging 9.8mpg on a fuel up.

Thanks, my 2015 IHI Durastar, Cummins, Allison steel deck sitting at 18,500lbs with my gear & full tank, was wondering if the aluminum cab on the Fords were any lighter, probably pretty close.

IMG_1227.JPG

Guest orcas tow
On 5/7/2019 at 7:27 PM, 2000intow said:

For what its worth, I have a 2017 f650 extended cab air ride air brake auto 6.7L with aluminum jerrdan and wheel lift, four aluminum wheels two steel and two half loaded 48" tool boxes, fueled up and DEFd up 16200 with me driving. Also, knock on wood, so far no issues with 17k miles. Averaging 9.8mpg on a fuel up.

Would you buy the same truck (make &model, etc...) if you had to do it again?

Uzek,

This '98 4700 with 22' JerrDan Wrangler aluminum bed, weighed in at 16k, loaded with 4 tool boxes and an extra winch on the stinger. A full 10k of legal capacity was nice...

DSC_2072.JPG

Exactly, when did these trucks get so heavy that you can't even carry what the deck is rated at without being over 26k?

On 5/7/2019 at 7:27 PM, 2000intow said:

54 minutes ago, Guest orcas tow said:

Would you buy the same truck (make &model, etc...) if you had to do it again?

Also do you know what your load angle is in degrees with the air dumped? My IHI is 10 degrees & hoping to find something close as that sure is nice, have yet to have to use lumber/ramps to load anything, even with flats.

26 minutes ago, Orcas Tow said:

Exactly, when did these trucks get so heavy that you can't even carry what the deck is rated at without being over 26k?

Also do you know what your load angle is in degrees with the air dumped? My IHI is 10 degrees & hoping to find something close as that sure is nice, have yet to have to use lumber/ramps to load anything, even with flats.

My truck has the steel cab, lighter duty trucks went to aluminum before the 650s did... to answer your question about buying it all over again if I had to it’s a catch 22. At the time I purchased this particular truck because I wanted an extended cab, 26k lbs truck with a cab and a half. I also had a falling out with my local international dealerships service department, after a half butted repair on a 4300, so I told them I swore off international, that left me with freightliner or ford, I opted for the ford because of the warranty primarily, and it was almost 10k dollars less then a comparably equipped FL... the only real drawback I found with my truck is the small cab, at 6’2” my legs get very restless driving after a couple hours, and it gets very cramped with a couple passengers. My bed angle with the air ride dumped is right close to 10 degrees, without the shark tail bed... hope this helps anyone looking!

Orcas tow

Weight of these trucks haven’t gotten heavier.  Manufacturers have been de-rating CDL trucks recently, due to lack of CDL drivers.  

Majority of these trucks would be over weight at max bed capacity   

Obviously, most tow truck dealers do not spec medium duty rollbacks correctly

13 hours ago, 2000intow said:

My truck has the steel cab, lighter duty trucks went to aluminum before the 650s did... to answer your question about buying it all over again if I had to it’s a catch 22. At the time I purchased this particular truck because I wanted an extended cab, 26k lbs truck with a cab and a half. I also had a falling out with my local international dealerships service department, after a half butted repair on a 4300, so I told them I swore off international, that left me with freightliner or ford, I opted for the ford because of the warranty primarily, and it was almost 10k dollars less then a comparably equipped FL... the only real drawback I found with my truck is the small cab, at 6’2” my legs get very restless driving after a couple hours, and it gets very cramped with a couple passengers. My bed angle with the air ride dumped is right close to 10 degrees, without the shark tail bed... hope this helps anyone looking!

We have windey bumpy country roads here, my last spring suspension F650 beat me up, I installed an air seat to help ease the bumps on my back. My 2015 IHI has air ride, air ride cab & air seat, it does rides like a dream, how does your F650 feel over rough roads, beat you up or ok? Im assuming there is no air ride seat in those. Thanks

19 hours ago, Orcas Tow said:

We have windey bumpy country roads here, my last spring suspension F650 beat me up, I installed an air seat to help ease the bumps on my back. My 2015 IHI has air ride, air ride cab & air seat, it does rides like a dream, how does your F650 feel over rough roads, beat you up or ok? Im assuming there is no air ride seat in those. Thanks

Correct, there is no air ride seat. But the suspension does ride nice on rougher roads, naturally a longer wheel base helps, too. That's neat your international had an air ride cab, seat, and suspension, must have been like being on a cloud