Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down 04.20.19 (VA) UPDATED 04.30.19

TowNews

Tow truck driver critically injured in I-95 hit-and-run crash

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. — State police are asking for the public’s help in a hit-and-run crash along Interstate 95 in Henrico County Saturday evening that critically injured a tow truck driver.

Troopers were called to the crash along northbound I-95 north of the Parham Road just after 5:20 p.m., according to Sgt. Keeli L. Hill with Virginia State Police.

“The preliminary investigation reveals that the wrecker driver was assisting a disabled 2019 Newmar RV located on the right shoulder when he was struck by a vehicle,” Hill said. “The striking vehicle did not stop and may have continued northbound I-95 or took the exit to I-295.”

Scene of I-95 hit-and-run crash

Scene of I-95 hit-and-run crash

Officials said that vehicle, of which there is no description, may have damage to its right front side.

The tow truck driver was transported to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries, Hill said.

Officials said the crash is being investigated with the help of the Virginia State Police Crash Reconstruction team and the Bureau of Criminal Investigations Richmond Field office.

If you have information that could help investigators, call Virginia State Police at 804-553-3445 or #77 by cell or email questions@vsp.virginia.gov.

RESOURCE LINK

Tow truck driver fighting for life after hit-and-run crash on I-95

Tow truck driver fighting for life after hit-and-run crash on I-95

(Source: NBC12 Viewer)

April 20, 2019 at 9:37 PM EDT - Updated April 20 at 9:37 PM

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - Virginia State Police are investigating after a tow truck driver was hit by a vehicle on Interstate 95 in Henrico.

Police were called to I-95 northbound, north of Parham Road, around 5:22 p.m. on Saturday.

The wrecker driver was assisting a disabled RV on the right shoulder of the road when he was struck by a vehicle, police said. The vehicle that hit him did not stop, and may have continued northbound on I-95 or taken the Interstate 295 exit.

Police said the striking vehicle, which is unknown at this time, may have been damaged on the front right portion of the vehicle.

The tow truck driver was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Virginia State Police are asking anyone with information to call (804)553-3445 or #77 on a cell phone or by email at questions@vsp.virginia.gov.

RESOURCE LINK

58461324_10218139339335673_3467291299508

UPDATED 04.21.19:

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Virginia State Troopers are asking for the public’s help in catching the driver who struck a tow truck driver that was servicing a disabled RV on Saturday evening.

State Police say it happened around 5:20 p.m. along I-95 north in Henrico. The victim was assisting a disabled RV parked on the right shoulder when he was hit.

Police add that the driver kept going along I-95 or perhaps to the exit to I-295.

“Just keep looking over your shoulder, watching your back," said Rufus Pittman, a Richmond mechanic who also has experience assisting other drivers on the side of the road.

He says it’s scary working so close to danger with drivers passing by at such high speeds, and that everyone on the road needs to do their part.

“The driver should feel remorseful, but people in general need to watch out when they’re driving," he said.

According to the victim’s brother, he is in the intensive care around 1 a.m. Sunday, and he is very stable. He adds that his brother suffered multiple fractures, is bleeding in his brain and that almost every bone on the right side of the victim’s body is broken.

Friends and family have been posting updates on the man’s condition on social media, stating that he can move his fingers and is somewhat responsive.

Pittman hopes that incidents like these will serve as a reminder for people on the road to stay alert.

“There’s a man not going home to his family at night," Pittman said.

State Police area asking for anyone with information to the crash to call them at 553-3445.

RESOURCE LINK with video

Very disturbing. It appears the tow operator was doing everything right and some idiot took him out. I hope and pray the driver makes a full recovery. And when they catch the person responsible for this tragedy, they need to be locked away for a long time. 

Florida man arrested for striking Virginia tow truck driver on I-95

6:47 am, April 30, 2019,

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. — An 85-year-old Florida man was arrested for a hit-and-run that injured a Virginia tow truck driver on Interstate 95.

“After an extensive follow up investigation [law enforcement] identified and charged the suspect driver in the April 20, 2019 hit-and-run in Henrico County. On April 29, 2019, Trooper S. Martin charged Robert Lee Longnecker, 85, of Panama City, Fla., with one felony count of hit-and-run and reckless driving,” a Virginia State Police spokesperson said. “Longnecker was transported to Henrico County Jail, where he was released on his own recognizance. The incident remains under investigation.”

Longnecker, according to police, was driving the vehicle that hit a tow truck driver on northbound I-95 north of the Parham Road exit in Henrico County on April 20.

“The preliminary investigation reveals that the wrecker driver was assisting a disabled 2019 Newmar RV located on the right shoulder when he was struck by a vehicle,” a Virginia State police spokesperson said. “The striking vehicle did not stop and may have continued northbound I-95 or took the exit to I-295.”

The tow truck driver was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. An update on his condition has not yet been released.

• 3 years later...