Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Maine State Trooper Struck and Killed 04.03.19

TowNews

While this was certainly a bizarre and unfortunate tragic accident. The Number of State Troopers and Law Enforcement Officers being Killed or Injured when struck by other vehicles is now surpassing Tow Operators Struck.

----------------------

Maine state trooper killed in 'bizarre' accident along I-95

Maine State Police Det. Benjamin Campbell was out of his cruiser helping a car along I-95 when two wheels separated from a tractor-trailer truck, one hitting him in the break down lane.

HAMPDEN, Maine — A state trooper was struck and killed Wednesday morning in a crash along I-95 in Hampden.

Det. Benjamin Campbell was out of his cruiser helping a disabled car along I-95 when the accident occurred, according to Maine Public Safety spokesperson Steve McCausland.

Around 7:30 a.m. south of the Coldbrook Road overpass, two wheels separated from a tractor-trailer truck driving by Det. Campbell and the disabled car he was assisting. One of the wheels landed in the median, but the other struck Campbell in the break down lane. 

Det. Campbell suffered severe injuries as a result of the impact. Despite treatment from multiple units on scene, Campbell succumbed to his injuries. He was taken by ambulance to Eastern Maine Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Det. Campbell would have been 32 years old on Monday.

Police say the driver of the tractor-trailer truck did stop after passing. He was identified as Scott Willett, 52, of Patten.

Willett was given a procedure blood test, but the results have not yet been released.

Col. Cote said the timing of the wheels separating from the tractor-trailer was "bizarre" and has left the entire department shaking their heads.

"Det. Campbell was one of our very best and well-liked," Col. Cote said through tears during a press conference. "This is going to be a loss."

Det. Campbell leaves behind his wife, Hillary, and his 6-month-old son, Everett. Col. Cote said he and his staff members are going to do their best to care for them and to honor Campbell and his service.

"We’ve got some really strong people, and we have a very unique connection," said Col. Cote. "Although we are a large agency, we’re very small. We know each other -- we know wives and kids. And we’re hurting, no doubt.”

RESOURCE LINK with video

Archived