Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Payment issues and declined cards

Tow411

Topic Originally Created by Biglerboyz in March of 2016:

Does anyone else have problems receiving payment from Allstate?  We are not contracted, but will do their calls with credit card.  The credit cards they issue are consistently declined.  We have to call Allstate and they promise to have card services call within 2 days.  After 2 days, we never receive a call back from card services.  Next, we have to call back to back to Allstate and attempt to get a credit card.  Typically, they will put us on hold and finally get a valid card.  We typically have an extra hour just trying to get paid.  

This time was the same as usually, card declined, called Allstate, wait 2 days for card services to call, no call from card services and finally call back to Allstate.  However, this time Allstate claims the card was charged (funny it isn't in our cc history).  I attempted to speak with a supervisor, but was advised they do not have supervisors.  I asked for a phone number to card services, but they do not accept incoming calls.  Does anyone else have similar problems?

ESC tubegreen.gif said:

I take their card, and run it before we start the truck. Also no goa, or cancellation refunds once the card is run. Never an issue.

RodVT tubeyellow.gif said:

I run card first also. Always quote a flat fee, get paid, and go!
wp479e6008_05_06.jpg

EKYTow55 tubeyellow.gif said:
I always run the card first, NO SERVICE UNTIL CARD CLEARS they got me to do tire change on a Friday night after I got back to base to get the equipment I run the card and it was declined finally got a hold of Allstate and they informed the call was cancelled no call back? I don't get many with them anymore but be cautious!
West Body Shop, Inc. - Axalta Coatings Systems

jp245 said:
Run the card with dispatcher still on phone. Trying to call back later is almost always going to be a problem, because you are rarely going to get in touch with the original dispatcher, and there is always a supervisor, that's who approves the price quote and credit card payment to begin with.

In Memory of NationalAutow tubegreen.gif who said:
I think it is a terrible sign that we cannot trust a big name provider club to do us right and pay us as agreed be it by CC or contract.

I realize that when you do the number of services these clubs do that there will be an occasional issue however when you see a club have a "card" problem over and over or a club have a short mileage problem again and again, and most major clubs do this, well that is just plain wrong.

It is really amazing to me that these same clubs represent major auto manufacturers and insurers and they get to act like that. You would think that if you were ABC Car Company, and you let XYZ motor club handle your calls, your image could be tarnished by the actions of that motor club.

One thing I have learned in life is that "what goes around, comes around". I do not think I would want to be some of these clubs on the back side.

oldwinch tubebronze.gif said:
we need a national do not tow for a motor club day it needs to be wrecker co holiday!!!

DodgeTowGuy134 tubered.gif said:
Yes, everyone's input about running the credit card FIRST and with the motor club dispatcher STILL on the phone line is the best move to ensure, not having payment issues!

Also, I do believe that the credit card info they provide is "time locked" so that it will only allow you to run the card for a certain length of time before it will decline, such as having only 24-hours to run the card...Thus why it's a good idea to run it FIRST, before the turn of a key on your truck.

As others have mentioned, we too quote the services as a "flat rate" with no cancellations or GOA allowed. It's the best method we have found to ensure that we are properly paid for our services and without payment issues from motor clubs.

As most of this boards participants are aware, any attempt to organize a strike against a motor club or clubs is most likely illegal.

While I am no attorney, PLEASE be careful. I do not have enough money for my bail much less yours.

EKYtow55 tubeyellow.gif said:
Had one Friday about noon on a tire change on a new Chevy, got a credit card# over phone ran just as soon as I hung up approved and done the call with no problem!
West Body Shop, Inc. - Axalta Coatings Systems

ccg tubeyellow.gif said:
I don't like to slam anybody especially fellow towers, so don't take it personal. you and others have the right to complain or protest in any non-violent way you wish which also means organizing a strike or boycott against oppression. there is a thing called the bill of rights, which guarantee you the right of free assembly and the freedom of speech. There is nothing illegal about protesting of being cheated out of which you have already earned. Believe me that conversation is most probably headed in the right direction. if any amount of you are serious it will take lots of planning and has to coordinated to when it will be most effective. the first and foremost thing is there needs to be an organized meeting to address the complaints to make sure we are all on the same page. Second don't be naïve you will suffer losses.not everybody will participate. only the strong survive. and if it is to be done it needs to be done with the element of surprise. but first a meeting to aired complaints and theory's discussed. you will not get anything changed without a concentrated effort. just my oppinon. 

I agree and DIS agree at the same time.

I understand freedom of speech however I am fairly certain that there are laws in place against organizing a concerted effort to cause a business disruption.

For example, many years ago in my area, local body shops got together to raise labor rates charged to insurance companies. In the end, some of the owners were actually jailed and prosecuted criminally for this. My understanding of the situation at the time was that any shop has the right to set its own rate HOWEVER, once that owner suggested that others do it and join him, it became illegal. If they all had raised their rates without ever discussing it among themselves then all would have been fine. The fact that they conspired together to force insurance companies to pay a higher rate was the illegal part.

I would certainly invite more in depth discussion about what constitutes an illegal act on this. I know that TowZone certainly is aware of the prohibitions and legalities of this and of course if Mike McGovern reads this he might chime in.

I do appreciate the original post and I do not wish to be argumentative. I do share a passion for this industry and I would hate to see you or any tower have what happened to a body shop owner many years ago happen.

ccg tubeyellow.gif said:
no offense national tow but you are so off base with your comments about a strike. where do you get that stuff?

TowZone said:
I really wish Phillip aka NationalAuto could respond. However, Philip Julian passed on Monday morning, July 29, 2017, at home in Memphis, Tn. of a heart attack in his sleep.

builder2 said:
Phillip was one of the best minds on this forum, to bad he is gone I miss his posts. Ccg you need to study the anti trust laws. They probably will apply.

ccg tubeyellow.gif said:
   To builder 2 and anyone else that reads this post. the thing is that I have read most of the anti trust laws and for the most part understand them, but the laws are always made a little on the "vague " side to allow both sides to argue their interpretation. thus the sometimes needed services of an attorney. that being said please allow me to get to the point.

According to your statement about the body shops organizing an effort to force the insurance companies to pay a higher labor rate may have been illegal depending on the actions they took. Was it an open forum? was there any justification for the rate increase? (was there a formula put into place). Was it directed only at insurance companies?(that in itself would be discrimination and price fixing ,that is just plain common sense.)  If the shop owners would have agreed to raise their rates in general to all customers that is not discriminatory. now for the biggie... any time some makes a post read what it says not what you think it says. my original post was about how to organize a concentrated  effort or strike for "being cheated out of what you have earned", however in previously posts I have given "examples " what I consider to be economically  and realistic feasible rates for the services I offer. Here is where the problem exists, very "FEW " of the people in this industry have the knowledge of how to figure out their cost and expense's as related to the rates they want to charge. Almost in every industry all competitor's  whom provide the same type services have the same type of expense's in general.(basic) In my opinion ,which a rather large competitor taught me to try an educate your competitor ,(it will make life easier for you ) on how to figure out a rate structure . What really needs to happen is to come up with a Basic formula with examples explaining just what the basic expenses are.that would be a good start.

As far as a work stoppage or strike you as an individual have a right to refuse any work at any time,you own your own business. I believe the term "blue flu" was used in the past by police personel protesting one thing or the other.

You are an American (I think) and you are entitled to certain Inalienable Rights,that allow you to live ,work ,or not to as you chose. if you don't agree that is your choice, but the issue I was referring to is being cheated out of what you have already earned not whether you should  be paid $150 per hour for digging a ditch with a shovel because the other guy using an excavator is getting  $150.00 per hour. 

Archived