Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

This Poor Mid-Engined Chevrolet Corvette C8 Prototype Broke Down

Mid-engine Chevy Corvette C8 breaks down at a Michigan gas station

Well this is awkward. After years of seeing the mighty mid-engine C8 Chevy Corvette in spy shots rumbling around Michigan and the Nürburgring, we now see it broken down at a gas station. According to the spy photographer, the sports car pulled into the gas station with no issues, but once the occupants were ready to leave, it refused to start. After close to a half hour of trying to start it, it was covered up and a tow truck called to have the 'Vette unceremoniously hauled back to HQ.

Any breakdown of a prototype in public is unfortunate, but this is particularly rough for Chevy since reports have been coming out of development troubles. Most notably are electrical issues, which may have been the cause of this car's breakdown. There have also been reports of chassis flex on the high-horsepower models, though that may have been fixed already.

We still expect the C8 to be revealed this summer. It will likely cost around $70,000 to start, and high horsepower models will probably break the $100,000 mark. Some sort of V8 will power it, though we're not sure if the base engine will be a pushrod engine or possibly a double-overhead cam engine. We also know that some kind of automatic, possibly a dual-clutch transmission, will at least be available, if not the only transmission.

RESOURCE LINK w/video

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2019 at 7:59 PM, Eastendtow 66 said:

And GM will say it can only be flat bed towed 

I generally dolly Corvettes and anything with front bumpers that are excessively low.  They're bound to already have some pre-existing damage that no matter how good your condition pictures are, they'll find some way to blame you for it...so up on the dollies they go.  They'll still try to blame.  But I have pics including their car up on dollies.

Richard

• 2 months later...

I am most disturbed by the towing procedures on display in this image. That wrecker is owned and operated by General Motors LLC according to the US DOT number on the door, which is a huge target for liability. As a vehicle OEM they should be always using proper safety procedures, yet I do not see any secondary attachment (safety chains) or extension (tow) lights. The picture gets a bit blurry when enlarged, so I can't be sure if there are any wheel straps as the tarp hides them well.

As bad as the publicity is having a prototype break down and caught on camera, how bad would it be if the car came detached during the tow? What if someone was injured as a result of their negligence? This is why we must use proper procedures every tow every time!

• Like 1

I’m going to say no straps, since the basket style straps common with Chevron wheel lift are resting on the dollies. 

1 hour ago, someotherplace said:

Some are quick to judge when the truck in the picture is not in motion yet.

Richard

It may or may not be in motion at the exact second that image was captured, however per the article it was broken down at a gas station and that background sure doesn't look like a gas station. Further, if you click the resource link you can see the entire series of images, including the operator pulling out of the gas station and onto the public roadway without lights or secondary attachment.

I will stand by my orginal assessment of poor towing practices by the operator of that unit.