Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Operator Saves Choking Victim on I-86 (NY)

TowNews

CHEMUNG COUNTY, N.Y (WENY) – A local tow truck driver seemed to be at the right place at the right time Wednesday morning.

Jasmine Cundiff and her mom were on I-86 making their way to the dentist when Jasmine began to choke on her subway sandwich in the passenger seat.

“I thought it was me just choking on air but it was food, said Cundiff. It was really really scary.”

After crossing her hands around her neck to let her mom know she was choking, the 21-year-old began to loose color in her appearance.

“I looked over and saw her changing colors. All that went through my head is that I would blame myself,” said Tina Cundiff, Jasmines mom.

A short distance ahead Tina saw a tow truck driver on the side of the road assisting someone with a tire change. She immediately pulled over and screamed for help. That's when Gary's volunteer firefighters instincts kicked in, relying on his CPR training.

“I've been doing it pretty much most of my life and just reacted to the situation and did what I had to do,” said Gary Winslow, Tow Truck Operator.

Jasmine choked for roughly 3 min and says she felt like she was going to die. On Thursday, she had a message for Gary.

“Thank you for saving my life Gary, that means so much to me,” said Cundiff.

RESOURCE LINK with video

26758335_2088081018145495_10705103104384

Archived