News Ticker
Orcas Tow

Rattle noise 2015 IHI Cummins?

New to me 2015 IHI Durastar with a 6.7 Cummins/Allison 2500RDS, air brakes with 15,000 original miles.

I bought this truck a couple weeks ago from Missouri, had an International Dealership perform a buyers inspection for me prior to purchase, they said all was like new. Truck was shipped on a semi trailer to me here in Washington.

On maiden trip I noticed air compressor was a bit noisy but not alarming, noise is like drumsticks rattling on engine block when engaged at idle, noise goes away when compressor disengages/120psi. When driving the noise returns on acceleration, same volume & noise as when compressor is building air but all the time when accelerating, even when the compressor is not building air. Let off throttle & noise goes away 100%.

Took it to the local International Dealer, asked a tech to go for a spin with me, he said not normal. I left truck for diagnosis, still under factory extended warranty, 6 days later dealer says noise is normal. I agreed noise is normal when compressor is building air but when its not it should not be making noise when its disengaged, only when acceleration.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

With an Allison transmission there was a big issue with the pto gear being noisy and rattling, could that be the noise you are hearing?  There is no fix for it, I have a Pete that makes a rattling noise, has since new, never gave us any issues.

Posted (edited)

Thats a good question, from inside the cab it sounds identical to the Air compressor rattle & I can not duplicate the noise while stopped, only while moving/accelerating. It will not do it power braking it in gear at a stop.  I will look into that, thank you.

Edited by Orcas Tow

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to TowForce.net

Wanting to join the rest of our members?

Feel free to sign up today.