Quantcast

Question

Im still pretty new to towing been doing it for about a year but still not use whats the best stuff to bring on me/wear

Right now I wear a reflective pants cover and a safety vest

I bring on me a light some pens and a knife 

Just wondering what is "the best" or most efficient set of equipment to bring and what you guys wear to the job as I was looking into something like this (https://www.truckntow.com/safety-apparel/jackets-rain-gear/class-3-speed-collection-premium-cold-weather-coverall.html) but not sure if its really worth it 

I live in the Upper East Coast FYI 

8 answers to this question

I to work in the northern east coast. Personally i wear good quality thermals, heavy dickies Jean work pants and  snug fitting sweatshirts so there's less chance of getting snagged on something. I also wear the Work King 5 in 1 jacket system from AW Direct. It's a killer coat system.It's adaptable to all different weather conditions. I was never one for coveralls. In my truck i keep a good set of rain gear, wader boots and a small bag with a complete change of clothes plus a few pairs of socks and spare work boots. ( I don't do cold, wet feet ) I keep a couple towels in the truck to dry off and wipe myself down so i'm not getting the interior of my truck all cruddy. I also keep a few different pairs of good gloves on hand and change them out regularly to dry them. a good pocket knife on me, and a 8 way screwdriver and a small pair of pliers in the door pocket of my truck usually gets the quick stuff handled. ( I do have a complete tool set on board as well ) a good rechargeable flashlight and a rechargeable lantern handles the lighting issues for me. If you have your own truck or a take home truck it's easy to keep all that on board but i can see it being a pain for someone who slip-seats or shares a truck with others. Some might say i over think it or carry too much but all i can say is i've been doing this for 26 years and i guess I'm set in my ways. Hope i have given you some ideas. Good luck and stay safe

Towing And Recovery is not just a job, It's a Lifestyle For only the Toughest Families.Stay Safe My Fellow Towers!!!!

A rechargable headlamp!!

I use a 3 lamp headset, stays on its charger all the time, it'ss the best thing I ever bought for personal use. I run light duty tow & recovery, I have not had it lose brightness on me even during long recoveries.

I also keep a 12v cooler in my cab, because sometimes I leave the house and don't come back!! Always nice to have a cold Gatorade and sammich with me.

I also employ a dash cam, I HIGHLY ADVOCATE the use of these!

Tumbleweed

Edited by Tumbleweed
typo

There may not be a trail ahead of me ..... but there's damn sure one behind me!

On 2/19/2019 at 7:18 PM, Tumbleweed said:

A rechargable headlamp!!

I use a 3 lamp headset, stays on its charger all the time, it'ss the best thing I ever bought for personal use. I run light duty tow & recovery, I have not had it lose brightness on me even during long recoveries.

I also keep a 12v cooler in my cab, because sometimes I leave the house and don't come back!! Always nice to have a cold Gatorade and sammich with me.

I also employ a dash cam, I HIGHLY ADVOCATE the use of these!

Tumbleweed

Could you made link it or give some good recommendations?

On 2/18/2019 at 12:27 AM, GRUMPS The Towman said:

I to work in the northern east coast. Personally i wear good quality thermals, heavy dickies Jean work pants and  snug fitting sweatshirts so there's less chance of getting snagged on something. I also wear the Work King 5 in 1 jacket system from AW Direct. It's a killer coat system.It's adaptable to all different weather conditions. I was never one for coveralls. In my truck i keep a good set of rain gear, wader boots and a small bag with a complete change of clothes plus a few pairs of socks and spare work boots. ( I don't do cold, wet feet ) I keep a couple towels in the truck to dry off and wipe myself down so i'm not getting the interior of my truck all cruddy. I also keep a few different pairs of good gloves on hand and change them out regularly to dry them. a good pocket knife on me, and a 8 way screwdriver and a small pair of pliers in the door pocket of my truck usually gets the quick stuff handled. ( I do have a complete tool set on board as well ) a good rechargeable flashlight and a rechargeable lantern handles the lighting issues for me. If you have your own truck or a take home truck it's easy to keep all that on board but i can see it being a pain for someone who slip-seats or shares a truck with others. Some might say i over think it or carry too much but all i can say is i've been doing this for 26 years and i guess I'm set in my ways. Hope i have given you some ideas. Good luck and stay safe

I use schmitz mittz like black knight gloves was wondering if you have any opinion on these as I like them but I feel like mechanics gloves work a lot better for when I am hooking up.  Also I see alot of tow men using some sort of headset for phone calls was wondering if you use one or any brand recommendations? 

I haven't used those gloves you mentioned. For winter work, i wear hardy 3m insulated waterproof gloves. They are great in the cold and snow, but a lil bulky. i also use those chemical style rubber gloves with a pair of mechanix gloves worn inside of them for real sloppy slushy days. I too prefer regular mechanix gloves for fair, dry weather. Being a small two man business, My partner or I (usually me) has the business line fowarded to my cell phone. I have used a bluetooth ear bud in the past but, after breaking like 3 of them I gave up on them. they also aren't very good with the background noise. I have returned to just keeping my phone in my pocket. 

Towing And Recovery is not just a job, It's a Lifestyle For only the Toughest Families.Stay Safe My Fellow Towers!!!!

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to TowForce.net

Wanting to join the rest of our members?

Feel free to sign up today.