News Ticker
  • Many thanks to our sponsors and patrons for their continuous support of our community.
  • Slow Down Move over
Sergio Duarte

AUTO GRIP 2---BOOM LEAKING DOWN WITH A LOAD

Is it the whole boom or the tilt that is leaking down ? it could be the valve or the cylinder itself. my Chevron tilt cylinder had a internal leak a couple years ago and would settle on its own after a while. I had to rebuild the cylinder.

Huh.. I'll have to look at my Chevron. I know mine has twin cylinders on the boom and I think each cylinder has a hold valve. I guess its possible both have gone south on you. Hard to say without looking at it. While your at it, Check the condition of your hydraulic fluid. If it's cruddy that could be causing you problems with your system. 

My renegade unit has a single hold valve for both cylinders. Now my partner told me when we replaced the cylinders a few years back on that truck it originally had 1 hold valve for each cylinder and that we re-piped for one. Truthfully, i cant remember if it did or not. In any event, it sounds like either the hold valve, one or both cylinders or possibly even the valve body itself is bleeding off. the easiest and cheapest thing to swap out would be the hold valve. I hate to suggest to just start throwing parts at it but  again it is difficult to diagnose it through this forum. I have had a unit that did the same thing once and although it had twin cylinders on the boom the problem was caused by one cylinder leaking back Internally. That was on a jerr dan unit we had. We rebuilt the affected cylinder and never had another issue with it. I always did find it odd that it would do that even with one good cylinder but it did. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to TowForce.net

Wanting to join the rest of our members?

Feel free to sign up today.