Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

AAA "Post from way back in 2002"

TowZone

07-17-02: Anaron Wrote,

I received a call a couple of days ago to tow a 14 yard dump truck. I quoted the owner a price and you would have thought he was getting his teeth pulled. I explained that we hookup air to the brakes of the casualty, remove the driveshaft, place tow lights and anything else that must be done to protect the casualty from further damage. He just could not understand why the price was soooooooo high! With a little encouraging, I got him to discuss his previous towing experiences. The company he uses does none of the above. If they can roll it they tow it. The really amazing part of the discussion came when the owner asked if I accepted AAA. I explained that I did not tow for motor clubs. He stated that the towing service he uses would tow his trucks using his personal AAA membership. I asked him how the towing company could afford to tow trucks for car prices and was told that the mileage was always 4 to 6 times the actual mileage. I guess club towing can be profitable after all! Still, it's not for me.

Cya in the ditch
Ron

Hartland Service said:

My min charge for that job is still higher then a AAA tow for 100 miles....sorry....Jeff

WM97891 said:

The thing that baffles me is AAA has a policy and different pay scale for RV's, they consider a conversion van a class B RV call, so in other words if a member with a conversion van does not have AAA- -RV, they should not be covered, but if they have a 1 ton commercial veh, the policy is this, ,if the equip you have can safely tow it it is covered, so in other words if im driving lets say a chevron 512 and it turns out that the AAA call im going on is a 25 foot cargo truck, then its covered under normal AAA membership, it doesn't make any sense

Archived