Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Need advice! About towing and partnership

Guest Trevor

Hey folks! Need you advice here.

I have a mechanic shop close to Harvey, IL. And there are many towing companies near by. We are serving semi-trucks and trailers. Question is how can I negotiate with towing companies to them to bring the trucks to my shop. Should we negotiate any pricing like percentage of each truck they bring to my shop. Or how that works with other shop and towing services. 

Thank you in advance! 

You will want to look into the legalities of that, as in many states "kick-backs" are illegal, I think it stands in same realm as  collision.

From my standpoint of being the operator (light duty), I will not do business based on any kickbacks of any kind, you want my breakdown customers in your shop, ya need to have a reputable shop. Where I recommend to my customer for service is reflection of the company I run for, I'm not taking them to Joe's Barn Garage just so I can get a few bucks. Integrity is everything to me.

There may not be a trail ahead of me ..... but there's damn sure one behind me!

Dangerous road! I think your best bet is to be the best at what you do, and have a good reputation for quality work. The biggest thing is to get to know the towers in the area, I mean really get to know them. Not just the owners, but the grunts, the cable draggers, the guys and gals that work overnight in crappy weather. Get to know them and take care of them when they are at your shop, not monetarily, but help them get unloaded, get them some coffee, warm them up, dry them off, clean them up, get them some quick grub, give them your cell number to reach you after hours and go to your shop after hours and meet them to help, make it easy for them ... Go to their shop after you get to know them and buy pizza for their staff or safety meeting. When they know you will take care of the clients they bring in in a professional manner, and you will make things easier and more efficient for them when they are there, it will bring you business. Additionally, it is just good business to have positive relationships with area businesses. That said, kickbacks almost never build goodwill long term, and are likely illegal, especially in Illinois.

Edited by doingitall
  • Like 1

I agree. As a towing company owner, I Do not promote one shop over another. Its just bad business practices and as stated above, Illegal in most states. When a customer asks for recommendations I always give them a couple options of reputable shops in town. Quality shops that I myself use. Do yourself a favor and become one of those reputable shops that provide quality service and fair rates and your local towers will take notice. Good Luck with your business!!!

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 4 months later...