Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down - 01/11/19 "Updated"

TowNews

Reports have been coming in all morning concerning a Tow Truck Operator who was struck and killed yesterday.

At this point we are unable to confirm this death via news reports which only state a pedestrian was hit and killed on I-41 in Ashwaubenon Friday afternoon.

The Brown County Sheriff's Office says it appears the victim was attending to a stalled vehicle along the northbound lanes and ventured into the lanes of traffic. No one else was hurt.

The crash happened at about 1:30 p.m. That section of highway reopened at about 6 p.m.

Although authorities closed the northbound lanes from Main Ave. in De Pere to Oneida St., traffic was able to bypass the crash scene by using the collector/distributor (exit/entry) lanes on the far right.

The victim's name wasn't immediately made public, which is routine until the family has time to be notified.

Reports received by TowNews are the Tow Operator was with Glenn’s Towing out of Green Bay. Wi.

RESOURCE LINK with video

I certainly hope not ... I've been following this too, but I don't have confirmation either. But, as you view the news video, count the number of police vehicles that are on-scene AFTER the pedestrian was killed, and NOT THERE TO HELP when help was needed most. There are definite lessons to be learned here and another example why towers are repeatedly killed. Try assigning a dollar amount of what it costs for all agencies to respond, the investigation, follow-up, prosecution and court costs, versus the cost of sending just one highway patrol vehicle to provide traffic breaks or slowing when towers are working on the shoulder. The costs of inconveniencing the motoring public for a few moments or a short time is not only cost effective, but would help save a tower's life. It doesn't make sense. Thanks for sharing the news.      R.

Randall C. Resch

50224027_2100595643343660_36628901488922

Statement From Glenn's Towing:

On Friday, January 11th, 2019 the world lost one of it's best. Jesse Hettmann was not only one of the best drivers, he was an amazing friend, husband, and father.

Sadly he was taken too soon. Jesse was taken, doing what he loved, while working on the interstate. Jesse was one of the nicest, most caring people there ever was. He never shied from lending a helping hand, nor putting in a hard days work. Jesse lead by example and was looked up to by everyone at Glenn's. Jesse left behind a wife, and two daughters along with countless friends and family. The void left from this loss will forever be felt in the hearts of anyone who knew him. He was immensely loved and will be greatly missed.

Lest we forget them on the long road home

The tow operator stood and faced his Maker, which must always come to air.
He hoped his chains were left behind and he hadn't brought them on to bare.
"Step forward now, wrecker driver how shall I deal with you?"
Have you always rendered aid? To your Maker, have you been true?
The tower, with dirt on his hands, said "No sir, I guess I ain't.
Because those of us who drive wreckers can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays and at times my talk was rough,
and sometimes I've taken people cars, because life is just that tough.
But I never took a penny, that wasn't mine to keep.
Though I logged a lot of hours when the bills just got too deep.
And I never passed by a cry for help though at times I had little to gain,
and sometimes, please forgive me, I could do little more than feel their pain.
I know I don't deserve a place among the people here.
They only wanted me around in their worst of moments there.
But if you have a place for me here, well...it need not be too grand.
I never expected or had too much so if you don't...I'll understand."
There was silence all around the room where the saints respectfully stood.
As the tow operator waited quietly, for the judgment...bad or good.
"Step forward now, wrecker driver, you've borne your burdens well.
Come tow on heaven streets, You've done your time in hell."

Archived