Quantcast

Question

When starting a new tow company is there anything that says you cant use a name someone else has in another state I see tow companies with the same name but not sure if that is ok or not I don't want to step on anyone's toes or piss another tow company because I used the same name. I even considered calling that tow company to see how they feel about it just out of respect. 

2 answers to this question

Morally that is only a question that you can answer. Legally, it depends upon how that other company has registered their name and filed it. Some have trademarked their name, so it would be a violation of trademark law to use it. Others have filed their business entity in multiple states, so again there may be legal restrictions.

My advice, if there is a name you want to use but it is already known to be in use, check with the corporation commission (or whatever entity registers business names) in your state to see if it is available. Next, make sure it is not a registered trademark or slogan mark. 

Personally I would avoid this practice, you never know when something is going to happen to sully the name of the other company and you could suffer the consequences of the similarity in names.

Brian thanks for your response I see towing companies in different states with the same name as another company but I am gonna take your advice and come up with a name of my own its not worth the hassle or money if the name was to get trademarked.

Thanks for the good advice.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to TowForce.net

Wanting to join the rest of our members?

Feel free to sign up today.