Quantcast
EdsTowing

Eds Towing Newest Addition "Updated"

Never did I think I'd live to see the day team Ed's went Miller. Congratulations on that monster of a truck, it's got some might big shoes to fill!

Very nice !!  I like the stuff legs and the hook backs right down the bottom ....a  very versatile truck...

Wishing you every success with it in the future ...

John. 

Guest FCT
2 hours ago, mooresbp said:

What is the panel on the right side in the back with the buttons on it?

Air release for the winches. 

So we have used the truck a little...nothing to really work it out...but figuring it out. First, I haven't weighed it yet but will when it's outfitted. I know it's heavier then my MPL40 was...I would bet by 2000 lbs. And not in the right places. But it's not apples to apples exactly with the legs. But the whole back of the truck is steel which is a totally different then a Jerr-Dan which is weight conscious. The wheel lift doesn't negative tilt unless you remove a stop pin from the boom. That's silly to me. One of the dealer reps told me it's not needed but that was spoken from a guy who spent his time on blacktop & concrete...but that's not where I live. When you run the T head against the ground, it's like a shovel to pick up stones & debris. They told us about removing the back panels to clean them out weekly (!) and after the 2nd tow, there was a bunch of gravel in there. I can see where this is an issue and will damage lines & fittings. The Jerr-Dan T head is a much better, thought out design in my opinion. They continually say that the arms being able to fully close is "better" but in 11 years of our old truck, it was never a problem. I guess we will see. Moving on...Eddie said it isn't as "friendly" towing with it but some of this is due to the design & additions. Obviously the added length makes it different. But a real issue is the overhang length required due to the legs & body protruding past the tailboard so far. He'll get used to it with use but physically the issue is still there. The MPL40 stays inside of the tailboard where this extends a foot past. The recovery boom seems shorter too...or at least the usable boom. I would need to measure it to be sure.

A couple of quirks.... The left side (drivers) winch controls are normal (to me)...left handle is left winch & right is right. Sounds simple, right? Well the right side is backwards and I almost sucked the cable end in to the fairlead today. THAT would of pissed me off. Maybe you guys know if that is normal? Or maybe mine is hooked up wrong. Either way, I need to do something about it. The air freewheel is neat. I don't like the switches in the back, we will be digging them out in the snow but that's just personal choice. You have to remember to turn the compressor on because it has a small service tank and no air - no release. 

Don't take me wrong, I like the truck. It looks awesome to me. The chassis is incredible...with every option ticked off, it's nicer than 99% of the vehicles you will ever tow. The 12K Planetary winches are fast and I can't weight to get them engaged into something real. Those that know me...know that i will find it's weak points and use it to the trucks capabilities & beyond...LoL

Thanks for the tip. We also took off those tire spacers and left them off too.

1412801717_newtint.thumb.jpg.1f58ce116eb5420724f9676b072bef51.jpg

Got her "sun glasses" on the other day, ordered a grand in rigging for it. I am making some  attachment holders for in the boxes. We mounted a 2" receiver on the tow hitch adaptor so we can use a regular receiver. Monday we are going to figure out an attachment to use forks as well as a stowage spot for it.

Those tire spacers are for 13" to 14" tires. How often do we see those anymore. I always take them off and put them in the side box. They do not take that much room. If you think you'll never use them then make the truck number on them and put them in your parts room. When i get time I want to address some of your other concerns.

I've been trying to convince my boss to build a truck literally identical to that. The things I would do to drive it daily lol.

I'll have to get a pic of it tomorrow George. We took their unit and welded a receiver tube on it. Now we have a pintle hook adapter and a 3 way ball assembly. We also install a factory ford trailer plug in the rear. It makes for a clean install for a 4 wire & 6 wire plugs.

1880251813_Screenshot_20190107-105020_Snapchat(2).thumb.jpg.2fc6089f64f3eedc2bb1340ade6845a0.jpg

She got her new suit on today...

20190111_161048.thumb.jpg.949aa01cdc257f8c570987b1de379802.jpg

20190111_161111.thumb.jpg.07dbc333caabb974f337a4e6fcf34a81.jpg

20190111_181207.thumb.jpg.19b29bd2ca3c5043506679f3543d49b7.jpg

I think it looks good....

847586744_49853200_10218500394561430_7397776954826424320_o(2).thumb.jpg.f3b1a91337d7f007ec2d117325fd7469.jpg

Ed, here is my 408TA, I love it, and I agree with you about how far the overhang is, but this is my first small wrecker, so I guess im just used to it.  I wish, I would have gotten the 12k winches, but so far the 9k winches have worked well and gotten out everything Ive asked of them.  Ill be following your updates and may steal a few ideas from you.  

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_90.jpg

Thanks Ed!  It has served us well and done everything that Ive asked of it and then some. 

One thing I wanted to share with you, mine may have just been a serious overlook from the factory, but the hoses for the auto grip where they go under the boom, mine were installed wrong and every time I put the boom all the way down, it would pinch the hoses.  It would have eventually lead to the hoses blowing, but I caught it early on.  My dealer sent a mechanic 2 days later to replace the hoses and reroute them out of the way.  It was definitely an easy job, but seeing as how the truck was only 5 days old, I let them handle it.   

You were asking about weight, mine is 14,240lbs full of fuel and me in it.  Also your complaint about the winch controls being reversed on the passenger side, mine are opposite of yours, so maybe yours were plumbed wrong?