Quantcast
Njsss

Truck For Sale But No Price. Why?

Question

Why post ad without price.  Seems like alot of wasted time to just get price.   Iam sure question has been asked before.  

12 answers to this question

This is an age old question, in regards to pre owned we encourage price as those equipment listings get more views. As for new equipment there are many factors in play, price shoppers made it difficult for dealers that spec units for Tow Operators. Striped Down Units because of the price are generally purchased for companies that throw drivers in them. Burn the truck up in 3 to 4 years and replace it without a care of resale value due to the condition and mileage. Like I said there are numerous factors involved for a dealer listing prices.

I encourage it, but I am not going to at anytime force it unless it is during a FREE Equipment listing period. In fact I have given some thought to making the pre 2004 listings open to all. Two problems with that 1) The number of listings do not increase dramatically. 2) It attracts more junk then quality. 3) Have you seen some of the prices on pre owned pre 2004 equipment. 4) Those listing for Free just don't care about their listing. You can see that on FB everyday. So much equipment out there and often misrepresented. A community (message board) such as this hold each member to a higher standard. that a reason we do not see a high volume.

But your question was price, so in closing listings with a price get more views. Does that relate to a higher volume of sales, I do not know. Maybe someone with that knowledge will respond to your question.

Completely agree with you about older trucks & junk out there.

My question was directed towards new. 

Dont know of any other marketplace that price seems like a secret.  I would think any educated buyer willing to spend $100k plus understands how truck specs relate to price. Seems like wasted time for seller & buyer.  Unnecessary  emails, phone calls etc.  it can take hours to find out cost is way over market value and/or budget

You would think, however in reality most in the industry regardless of level of education or years of knowledge tend to gravitate to price. Often purchasing a unit without a full understanding that the price reflects the spec's. A unit that is less money at one dealer is generally not spec'ed as well as from another dealer. The dealers listing equipment here do not have as many plain cookie cutter units in stock as other dealers catering to price shoppers. Believe me I have reviewed these statistics for years. Honestly, I believe you get more attention from units with prices. However, as stated there is justification for being able to go over the options a new unit has compared to one found at a lower price.

I once saw a bid for several units go out to several dealers. When the bids came back half were about the same on price. The other half was much lower, those went into the trash. Can you tell me why?

I sold trucks some time back for Miller, er one of their dealers that is. The reason that dealers do not add prices on the equipment is because they kind of paint themselves in a corner if they do. Some people shop a particular sales person, or a dealer for their equipment. They do not price shop, or as Dave Ramsey says, "read the menu from the right side to the left." Meaning that they are not motivated primarily by price. A dealer can add a few hundred to a few thousand dollars to a deal with their "A" customers, and they will not yelp like a puppy whose tail was stepped on. If they see the same truck advertised, and want a carbon copy, they will also want the same price that the truck was listed for. Please also be advised that there is not a huge margin in truck sales. It is very competitive, and very cut throat. While your decision to purchase should consider price as a factor, your main concern should be the quality of the build. There are some butchers out there building new trucks. It is well worth paying a few thousand for a truck that is built by a knowledgeable, educated, experienced, and trained individual(s), than to get a truck built by a butcher or a clown. I would like to see a section dedicated here on people rating dealers for their quality of the build they produce.

If the low bidders weren’t just dreamers, could be they low balled offer & can always negotiate higher not less.  Higher bidders may not be negotiating types. Obviously sellers want top dollar, buyers want best deal.   By throwing  out low bids I think its safe to say, dealer lost 15-20% potential customers, permanently 

If you are running a business, obviously you have to make a profit. Profit is your best friend. People do not like to play games. I do not. If I am at a store and an item is not tagged and priced I will walk by it and not give it a second thought. The tactic is part of the plan to get every last dollar available in the deal. Dealers do not own the trucks. Until the truck is sold, it is the property of the manufacturer. The dealer pays a charge similar to credit card interest for every day that vehicle sits on the dealers lot. When it is sold, that charge is added into the deal. This is why if you go to get a truck, pickup or a cab and chassis, they will flat out lie and tell you stories that there are none in that color scheme and option package available. They want to push the pig iron and plastic that is sitting on their lot, and that they are paying floorplan charges on. There is not a great deal of margin in the deal on a new wrecker. There is the price of the chassis, as well as the price of the bed and the installation. If you are buying a unit, one should research the people that complete the build just as diligently as they do the specs on the chassis as well as the specs on the wrecker bed. If a dealer does not post a price, I do not consider them to be totally interested and committed to selling their product. They are more interested in playing the shell game and perpetuating their bullshit. I am contacting you, the dealer, because I have an issue, that being I need equipment. I do not contact you to play games and engage in jitterbug bullshit. I will spend money elsewhere.  

It is! Every time I call a dealer, they want to play 20 questions and waste 15 minutes my time before giving me a price... If it was as hard to buy parts at the dealership as buying trucks, mine would all broke in the driveway! That is why all 6 of truck purchases have come from private sellers.

Why post ad without price.  Seems like alot of wasted time to just get price.   Iam sure question has been asked before.  

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TowForce mobile app

"Oh, Just call ANYBODY!"

This is a loaded question. Selling tow trucks and carriers is not like selling a Ford Explorer. There are so many variables that posting a price is really useless. Often the trucks we as dealers post are not yet fully equipped, or we may have two identical looking trucks but once you dig into the specs it becomes apparent they are vastly different. There are a few "discount" dealers that put low end spec, junk chassis under low end spec bodies and sell them at $10-$15k less than a properly spec'd and built truck. They have become so good at making their turds look appealing that even the educated consumers often eat them up, arguing with the dealer, saying they are ripping them off. Sadest part is, these dealers with the polished turds are making a bigger spread on their deals than the honest dealers that are offering the right equipment for your job.

Posting prices leads to hurt feelings because customers feel like they were shafted when they see a similar truck at a lower price, even once you point out the difference in specs, equipment levels or other options that increase the overall value. Not to mention, multi-state dealers market their trucks nationwide and can't post prices because the final price will vary depending on where you take delivery of it due to shipping and other costs. Plus, some dealers may build trucks in multiple locations which results in different base costs for the exact same truck, again due to geographic cost fluctuation. Not to mention what a specif market will bear, sometimes to break into a market dealers will sell at or below cost, and it does no good to sell these trucks out of market into areas already established, the good deals need to stay available in the under-served or new market to entice customers into doing business.

Lastly, in an effort to stop price shopping and encourage buyers to buy from their regional dealer, most manufacturers prohibit posting sale prices on brand new equipment. If you look at the fine print on traditional new car sales materials it will state that the advertised price is only available to residents of specific areas or states, that is because the manufacturer offers different incentives to move equipment in different regions. The towing sales industry is to small for the mass marketing used by the new car industry so we just do things a bit different to protect the dealer and manufacturer interests and promote healthy competition among dealers.

Oh, as for the dealers asking 20 questions when you call for price, it is in their best interest to a) qualify you as a buyer, b) make sure the truck you are inquiring about is right for you and c) make sure they can sell it to you. Some manufacturers prevent dealers from selling out of their territory unless the customer has already refused to deal with their local distributor, so they are required to qualify you. This may seem like a waste of time but it really a benefit to you and a sign of a quality dealer trying to do their job and make sure you get the right truck for the right price.

Appreciate the responses.   Purchasing a tow truck is not difficult.   Dealer can provide you with chassis & body specs if truck is or will be built.   When I stated educated buyer, I meant someone who would call chassis dealer &  provide  specs.  I found new cab & chassis price varies slightly.    Next, call tow truck body dealer with specs,  ask for quote installed.

Might be in for a surprise If you think dealer has tight margins.  

Let’s not forget Dealer incentives, discounts, etc.   

22 hours ago, brian991219 said:

This is a loaded question. Selling tow trucks and carriers is not like selling a Ford Explorer. There are so many variables that posting a price is really useless. Often the trucks we as dealers post are not yet fully equipped, or we may have two identical looking trucks but once you dig into the specs it becomes apparent they are vastly different. There are a few "discount" dealers that put low end spec, junk chassis under low end spec bodies and sell them at $10-$15k less than a properly spec'd and built truck. They have become so good at making their turds look appealing that even the educated consumers often eat them up, arguing with the dealer, saying they are ripping them off. Sadest part is, these dealers with the polished turds are making a bigger spread on their deals than the honest dealers that are offering the right equipment for your job.

Posting prices leads to hurt feelings because customers feel like they were shafted when they see a similar truck at a lower price, even once you point out the difference in specs, equipment levels or other options that increase the overall value. Not to mention, multi-state dealers market their trucks nationwide and can't post prices because the final price will vary depending on where you take delivery of it due to shipping and other costs. Plus, some dealers may build trucks in multiple locations which results in different base costs for the exact same truck, again due to geographic cost fluctuation. Not to mention what a specif market will bear, sometimes to break into a market dealers will sell at or below cost, and it does no good to sell these trucks out of market into areas already established, the good deals need to stay available in the under-served or new market to entice customers into doing business.

Lastly, in an effort to stop price shopping and encourage buyers to buy from their regional dealer, most manufacturers prohibit posting sale prices on brand new equipment. If you look at the fine print on traditional new car sales materials it will state that the advertised price is only available to residents of specific areas or states, that is because the manufacturer offers different incentives to move equipment in different regions. The towing sales industry is to small for the mass marketing used by the new car industry so we just do things a bit different to protect the dealer and manufacturer interests and promote healthy competition among dealers.

Oh, as for the dealers asking 20 questions when you call for price, it is in their best interest to a) qualify you as a buyer, b) make sure the truck you are inquiring about is right for you and c) make sure they can sell it to you. Some manufacturers prevent dealers from selling out of their territory unless the customer has already refused to deal with their local distributor, so they are required to qualify you. This may seem like a waste of time but it really a benefit to you and a sign of a quality dealer trying to do their job and make sure you get the right truck for the right price.

1) I have to disagree. Selling tow trucks is just like selling Explorers. Not all Explorers are built the same or sold the same. Different options, different dealer incentives different dealer margins to name a few. 

2) This is going to happen to everything that gets sold. Wreckers, regular vehicles, parts, washer machines etc. 

3) If a local dealer wants to sell me a truck, they are going to have to be right on the price... period. My money is green and backed by the US government and it spends everywhere. They (the dealer) is not the only people in the world that have a wrecker for sale, new or used. I would consider me not able to buy a truck outside my area like price fixing... $10 says I walk into any good dealer in the country with cash, I'll be able to drive a truck home. 

4) In my opinion, the only thing a dealer needs to know is if I have a way to pay for the purchase I want to make, nothing more. Everything else is a 110% totally waste of my time. 

In closing, if there was anything in your argument that was remotely valid, it would be the same way buying parts... and it's not. 

"Oh, Just call ANYBODY!"

On 1/6/2019 at 1:51 PM, anybody said:

1) I have to disagree. Selling tow trucks is just like selling Explorers. Not all Explorers are built the same or sold the same. Different options, different dealer incentives different dealer margins to name a few. 

2) This is going to happen to everything that gets sold. Wreckers, regular vehicles, parts, washer machines etc. 

3) If a local dealer wants to sell me a truck, they are going to have to be right on the price... period. My money is green and backed by the US government and it spends everywhere. They (the dealer) is not the only people in the world that have a wrecker for sale, new or used. I would consider me not able to buy a truck outside my area like price fixing... $10 says I walk into any good dealer in the country with cash, I'll be able to drive a truck home. 

4) In my opinion, the only thing a dealer needs to know is if I have a way to pay for the purchase I want to make, nothing more. Everything else is a 110% totally waste of my time. 

In closing, if there was anything in your argument that was remotely valid, it would be the same way buying parts... and it's not. 

I am sorry you don't like the truth. I have been selling new tow trucks for a few years now. Granted I only do it part time, consulting is my primary business, but everything I stated is fact in the tow truck distributor business. Plain and simple. Now, there are dealers that will work around their distributor agreement and risk losing their contract for a buck, I am not one that will.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:14 PM, Njsss said:

Appreciate the responses.   Purchasing a tow truck is not difficult.   Dealer can provide you with chassis & body specs if truck is or will be built.   When I stated educated buyer, I meant someone who would call chassis dealer &  provide  specs.  I found new cab & chassis price varies slightly.    Next, call tow truck body dealer with specs,  ask for quote installed.

Might be in for a surprise If you think dealer has tight margins.  

Let’s not forget Dealer incentives, discounts, etc.   

Tow truck distributors do not get manufacturer incentives from the chassis makers, we buy them wholesale and our price varies slightly based on the volume we commit to each year, but it is not much lower than you can buy the chassis off the street for, sometimes even higher.

If you are comparing apples to apples then yes, an educated buyer should be able to make a fair comparison. Keep in mind a Miller or Jerr-Dan spec chassis, for example, will not be available outside of the distributor network so the exact specs will vary slightly if you try to source a chassis directly from a OEM dealer rather than the tow distributor.

Take out the extras like rigging, add on lights and other accessories then you can get a fair comparison. Keep in mind what extras the dealer may be including in their base build price vs. others that nickel and dime you to death with add-on fees.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to TowForce.net

Wanting to join the rest of our members?

Feel free to sign up today.