News Ticker
  • 2018 Motor Club Ranking Underway
  • Many thanks to our sponsors and patrons for their continuous support of our community.
  • Slow Down Move over
Towing Software
TowNews

Bill Bottoms - 8/18/1941 - 12/7/2018

1987-William-Bottoms.jpg

From B&B Industries:

It is with a very heavy heart that I write these words tonight. Unfortunately, B&B Industries has lost it's beloved founder and owner Bill Bottoms. Bill has passed away suddenly after suffering a massive stroke Sunday night. He will be dearly missed and never forgotten. He was a true legend in the towing industry, a creative innovator, and a great leader. The entire Bottoms family thanks all of you for your prayers and support. The arrangements for Bill are posted below.

McGann Hay Granger Chapel
13260 SR 23 Granger, IN 46530
(574) 232-1411

Visitation:
Sunday, 12/9/18: 2pm to 8pm
Monday, 12/10/18: 11am to 2pm

Services:
Monday, 12/10/18: 2pm

William “Bill” Bottoms, 77, passed away at his home with his family by his side, Friday at12:15am from a stroke he suffered earlier in the week. He was born Aug. 18, 1941 to the late Calhoun “Hoss” and Evelyn (Cunningham) Bottoms in McMinnville, TN.

Bill married Judith Ann Matson in 1965, she survives. He was blessed with four children who also survive him, including three sons: Randy (Rosa) Yarbrough of Barstow, CA, Bill (Shelley) Wassom of Johns Creek, GA, Kenny (Laurie) Peek of Nashville, TN, and daughter; Maria “Lisa” (Lee) Hirschfield of Cedar Lake, IN. There are also six grandchildren: Lindsay, David, Shelby, Morgan, Haley, Savannah and two great grandchildren: Lia and Branton, and the beloved family cat CC.
Bill served in the U.S. Air Force before marrying Judi. During his younger years he raced dirt cars on the weekends and enjoyed gambling in Las Vegas. He worked as a pipe-fitter and welder on the Sears Tower and other skyscrapers in Chicago and was a builder and creator of many things. He started building tow trucks and opened B & B Industries in Chicago. In 1979, he moved his company and renamed it Challenger Wrecker Manufacturing. He sold that company, but missed the work, so he reopened B&B Industries in Elkhart, where it remains today. He is in the International Towing Museum Hall of Fame in Chattanooga, TN. As if tow trucks weren’t enough, he also designed and manufactures Port-a-Party vehicles, that could be moved anywhere you wanted to party. Such companies as Budweiser, Monster Energy Drinks, and Miller Brewing use these portable parties on wheels.

Bill loved his friends and family and was always there for them. He also had many friends and and loyal employees who will truly miss him.

Visitation and Services for Bill will be held on Sunday from 2-8pm and on Monday from 11-2pm at the McGann Hay Funerals / Cremations / Gatherings, Granger Chapel, 13260 SR 23 enter on Cherry Rd. The funeral celebration will be at 2pm Monday in the funeral home with Rev. John Railton, Pastor of Granger Family Bible Church, officiating.
The family asks that those wishing to make memorial donations consider: St. Joesph County Humane Society.

To send condolences, please visit:   www.McGannHay.com

http://blog.mcgannhay.com/william-p-bottoms/

A Sad Day to say goodbye to someone I admired and had great respect for, Rest in Peace Mr. Bill Bottom's. Every year in Baltimore I'd have your popcorn ready and we would have our chat, it definitely won't be the same without you.

Mr. Bill Bottom's was always a gentleman and a great role model, you've made your mark on the Earth as those wreckers will carry your name forever. Thank you for all your kind gestures and for paving the way in the Towing Industry. You will be remembered as a legend and dearly missed by many, I will always remember and look back at the few conversations and laughs we had.

Rest In Peace Mr. Bill Bottom...

47576154_1781020582009452_76257686708950

47509181_1781020615342782_64663143148725

I spent a little time with Mr. Bill Bottoms prior to the Baltimore show as I always made an effort to do at every event.

We never know that it will be our last opportunity. Gods Speed, I am sure we will meet again sir!

You are one of my greatest supporters and always encouraged my efforts to unite the Industry in one place. May the Tow Force be with you as you stand along side other Industry Legends who have passed before. Age 77 was much too young, Heaven must have needed a another great wrecker builder. We morn our loss and celebrate your life. I am sure there is a Party Trailer in Heaven.

A great man, never will be forgotten. He will be missed by the entire industry.

A ton respect for Bills accomplishments and contributions to the industry.

RIP. Prayers and condolences, to the family and team at B and B.

Wow the man the legend has left this earth . Anyone that ever met Bill Bottoms will never forget him. The towing industry has lost a true pioneer craftsman and a legendary designer who we can thank for what we have today . Rest in peace Bill you sir will be deeply missed . Never forget that day he drove into Ben Warners Garage with that 40 ton red W 900 towing a super duty and Ben handed the keys to the Ford to a 19 year old kid . I had the first wheel lift parking garage truck in Santa Anna and a motorcycle ramp . I was the happiest kid on the planet first new truck I ever got. I got to be the swamper on the second rotator the Black cat at Anaheim Fullerton with Polock Bob . Moved to Maryland in 91 saw these red/orange Challengers with Calton truck service on them when I ran AAA at rolling road. That took some time like 4 kids worth but Big Creed let me run his Pete. Bill's equipment out lasted many a new one . Over built was a understatement. Rest in peace BILL .

BB wreckers were legendary and Bill could convince you of the same. I had the pleasure of talking with him at different tow shows. A true gentlemen, Bill ... you will be missed but not forgotten.    R.

I first knew Bill in mid 1970’s, when he came to the WI Tow Show in Wisconsin Dells. At that time he was building convential tow trucks, for the Chicago police dept,  the sides were made from quarter inch plate.  We had many good times with him and his crew.  My first hydraulic wheel lift was a challenger purchased in 1985.  Challenger hosted the WI board of directors in his hospitality suite at the Indianapolis 500 time trials. It was memorable.  Over the years I visited with him at many Tow Shows.  Bill was awesome!!  RIP Bill

Bill Tomlinson 

Ashland, WI

As a child growing up in the towing industry, I took for granted the thought and Engineering that went into those trucks I operated.

As our industry mourns the loss of a leader, designer, family man, mentor and the list goes on, we must reflect on the major advancements that Bill Bottoms brought from his dreams to our reality.

Prayers for his entire family both personal and Professional. Rest In Peace

Sadly,  I never had the honour of meeting Bill ....however, his company and his skills were well known this side of the pond as well,  truly the whole industry has lost a legend,

Our deepest sympathy, thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and colleagues. 

From his fellow colleagues in the UK and Europe.

John.

• Welcome to TowForce.net

Wanting to join the rest of our members?

Feel free to sign up today.