News Ticker
  • 2018 Motor Club Ranking Underway
  • Many thanks to our sponsors and patrons for their continuous support of our community.
  • Slow Down Move over
Gray91

Need help with new light bar!

Question

Hey everyone, last week I bought a new light bar from SpeedTech Lights, I love it but wiring it to my 2003 international has been a headache! it appears the proper way to do this would be to go from the light bar, down the headache race and under the bed. From there the wires need to go the whole way to the rear where the bed pivots then back to the front of the truck. My new STL light has 16 wires coming from it, I would love to bring the wires down the headache rack and into a coiled cord and run it in the back of the cab to save me 50 feet of wires and several hours of work. Has anyone else replaced a dinosaur rotator light bar with a new LED version and had this issue??

G-

6 answers to this question

I have never seen a bar with that many wires at the bar itself!  What model did you order?

Figure out what you really NEED out the light bar and dumb the light bar down to 7 wires.  

Like:

beacon trigger

full time power

ground

left turn trigger

right turn trigger

brake trigger

upper work trigger

Then use a truck style 7 way plug and be done with it.

Or, do it right the first time, and run it like you know you should do.

it is a speed tech 55 inch k force light bar, I thought about the 7 wire situation but the more I think about it, the more I think ill just basically re wire the back half of the truck and hopefully be done with it 

If your truck already had a lightbar installed, you should have wiring at the base of the headache rack already.

You should have everything there that you need. Like the other posters have said, figure out what wires do what, and then hook them into the existing wiring.

A power probe was my dearest friend when I had to replace half of the wiring bundle on one of our flatbeds. Just bring power to the bar at the cab side of the harness and you will figure out which wires are what or if the harness is already ran flip the switch and see which wire becomes hot.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to TowForce.net

Wanting to join the rest of our members?

Feel free to sign up today.