Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tire Chains- Its that time of year again

ESC

As much as I don't want to admit it.... winter is coming.  I was just checking out our supplies for the winter and checked through our tire chains.  Years back, we got blindsided by an ice storm early in the morning and we managed to get our 4x4 wrecker stuck before we could get out to a police call.  That week I ordered up a few sets of tire chains.  At the time, I didn't know much about them, just didn't want to have any issues missing a good job.  That winter we had a lot of ice, and we chewed up a few sets of chains.  That next year I did my homework on chains and found Pewag.  It turns out some of our local municipalities had been using them on dump trucks and all.  They were a lot more expensive than what I had used the previous year, but I heard good things, so I gave them a try.  They were much faster and easier to put on.  And they lasted a lot longer than the regular ones.  Since than, I have added multiple sets of Pewag chains and got rid of all of the old styles.  I just ordered 3 more pair for this year.  I just thought I would give you guys a heads up on what works.   They are awesome!! 

On our 4x4 trucks I have a set of Pewag singles for the rear which I install on the outer dual only and it works great.  I also keep a set for the front for those really icy days, or the nasty driveway etc.   When I use them, I bill a minimum of $175 to roll the truck.... 1 job pays for the pair.  Our 2 wheel drive trucks I have a pair of singles for the outer rear dual.  I highly recommend having a pair or two around, as when it gets icy, they are hard to get a hold of quickly.  Now is the time to order them.

pewag.jpg

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

I have used chains twice in 2 days.  The first for deep snow and ice up in the mountains and the second time for clay like mud.  

Chains have a very good ROI. 

I need to order another set of dual rails for the wrecker.... the problem with mountain roads with deep ruts are the inner duals ride high in the rut leaving the outer chained up dual in the air basically doing nothing.

Your price is kind of skinny for a 4x4 chained up performing a task to me.

I have used chains twice in 2 days.  The first for deep snow and ice up in the mountains and the second time for clay like mud.  
I need to order another set of dual rails for the wrecker.... the problem with mountain roads with deep ruts are the inner duals ride high in the rut leaving the outer chained up dual in the air basically doing nothing.

That’s interesting about needing them in the inner to help due to ruts. We are in Southeastern Pa. I haven’t had that issue. But I may consider a pair of duals for the back just in case. I had singles on the outer duals Friday afternoon for a storm we got. Really helped us get around safely. As for pricing we do $175 as a minimum call out fee during snow. A quick and easy single line winch is $175. Any sort of recovery effort doubles at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2018 at 1:45 PM, ESC said:

As much as I don't want to admit it.... winter is coming.  I was just checking out our supplies for the winter and checked through our tire chains.  Years back, we got blindsided by an ice storm early in the morning and we managed to get our 4x4 wrecker stuck before we could get out to a police call.  That week I ordered up a few sets of tire chains.  At the time, I didn't know much about them, just didn't want to have any issues missing a good job.  That winter we had a lot of ice, and we chewed up a few sets of chains.  That next year I did my homework on chains and found Pewag.  It turns out some of our local municipalities had been using them on dump trucks and all.  They were a lot more expensive than what I had used the previous year, but I heard good things, so I gave them a try.  They were much faster and easier to put on.  And they lasted a lot longer than the regular ones.  Since than, I have added multiple sets of Pewag chains and got rid of all of the old styles.  I just ordered 3 more pair for this year.  I just thought I would give you guys a heads up on what works.   They are awesome!! 

On our 4x4 trucks I have a set of Pewag singles for the rear which I install on the outer dual only and it works great.  I also keep a set for the front for those really icy days, or the nasty driveway etc.   When I use them, I bill a minimum of $175 to roll the truck.... 1 job pays for the pair.  Our 2 wheel drive trucks I have a pair of singles for the outer rear dual.  I highly recommend having a pair or two around, as when it gets icy, they are hard to get a hold of quickly.  Now is the time to order them.

pewag.jpg

Wonderful post!  Also not only do we make the BEST, LONGEST LASTING chains on the market; but they're also MADE IN THE USA

On 11/16/2018 at 3:07 PM, BlackAutoload said:

Be sure to consider pewag when making your choice!

Give us a call if you have any questions, my name is John (800) 445-2895

Being an Oregon native, I am partial to Quality Chains offering and used to walk into the warehouse and have them make me whatever I needed on the spot. 

The new set of dual rail square links showed up last week and are waiting to be used.

I looked at pewags and I couldn't justify the $200 more for the same style chain.

I would by happy to product test a set out for you though! Need the same size as most sprinter vans use. haha

47 minutes ago, BlackAutoload said:

Being an Oregon native, I am partial to Quality Chains offering and used to walk into the warehouse and have them make me whatever I needed on the spot. 

The new set of dual rail square links showed up last week and are waiting to be used.

I looked at pewags and I couldn't justify the $200 more for the same style chain.

I would by happy to product test a set out for you though! Need the same size as most sprinter vans use. haha

Hello BlackAutoLoad and thanks for the reply!

Often times the perception of quality behind tire chains is difficult to distinguish to the naked eye.  The composition of our steel, combined with the heat treating process, is what gives us the competitive edge.  No manufacture in China can, or is, replicating our proprietary steel alloy and hardness depth.  Also, when you're buying American, you can trust the quality and craftsmanship that goes into each product. Which we stand by with our extended pewag warranty. Our durability and longevity is what makes us the best in the market!

If you need some help getting specific size/style chain fit to your needs; please reach out to me in a DM, or I can get you in touch with our pewag guy on the ground in Portland.

Archived