Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Would you use this hook on rollback?

Njsss

If you keep the tip down and spool ok on the winch drum I've never had the hook come off of the bridal. I've had other drivers destroy the ketch and I've just worked with the hook. Just pull just enough wire rope you need. I'm still baffled how the others broke the ketch clip.

And I think the nut is nylon backed

I see what you say now where the hook goes to the wire rope at the pivot. A nut and not a solid end. I'd be always looking for stress. I'd be weary.

But our hooks now terminate that way. A castle nut to the end of the hook so far so good with the right operator......

We use like George but I'm sure this hook is fine. The cotter pin will be there for life...if you're concerned then lock tight the nut as well...but I would say you are "Over thinking it".. I

m sure it will last the life span of the rope.

No I use the yellow self closing self latching ones as they don't catch on plastic air dams or the deck.
That's what is on the decks now. Big man was tired of other operators tearing the latch up. Somehow even the self closing hooks a driver or two has managed to break that clip to keep it shut.

Both cables are  steel core 7/16”.  The hook on new cable is considerably smaller.  Expected   same quality as original. The original cable held up extremely well, but was only 50’  I needed a 75’.   Any body know where Jerr Dan  sources there cables?  

• Platinum Sponsor

I have just done a quick tour of my dealerships truck inventory and I can say that our trucks use both styles of the hooks, either a castle nut cotter pin style or the welded / forged end cables. Attached are photos of the castle nut cotter pin variety on Jerr Dan 50 ton rotator, 20K winch on a 15 ton bed, 8k winch on a carrier or a MPL-40. As you can see the heavier winches use the castle nut / cotter pin style.

If you need cables call us at 1-888-231-4316 or go to https://parts.ectts.com/towing-parts-towing-supplies-vehicle-recovery/

015 1000x750.jpg

016 1000x750.jpg

017 1000x750.jpg

014 1000x750.jpg

• Platinum Sponsor

You do not have to wait for a free shipping deal to come along at East Coast Truck & Trailer Sales,  Because any order over $50 shipped in the lower 48 states every day qualifies for free shipping. So please use this link to order everything that you need for your wrecker today.

https://parts.ectts.com/winch-cable-tow-rope-winch-lines-wire-rope/

image.png

• 2 months later...

Archived