Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

TOWER DOWN - 01.17.18 (MS) "Updated 07.02.22"

TOWER DOWN - KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY -

JASON MOORHEAD, OWNER - MAGNOLIA AUTO REPAIR AND TOWING

UPDATED 01-19-18:

Local tow truck operator killed on the job on I-59

JASPER COUNTY, Miss. (WTOK) -- A local tow truck operator was killed while on the job Wednesday afternoon in Jasper County.

48-year-old Paul "Jason" Moorehead Sr. of Meridian's Magnolia Towing was hit by another vehicle while he was towing a wrecked car out of the median of Interstate 59.

The driver of the second vehicle, 69-year-old William Bernard, also died in the wreck. The passenger also suffered injuries.

The passenger was transported to South Central Regional Medical Center.

Mississippi Highway Patrol Sergeant Andy West says this is an unfortunate part of serving the public.

"This is a danger of being a first responder. Whether it is law enforcement or tow-truck operator or anyone that is out there trying to assist the public. It is an inherent danger of the job," said West.

West says MHP responded to over 600 calls for assistance during the last 48 hours across the state.

RESOURCE LINK

---------------------------------------

JASON MOORHEAD, OWNER

Magnolia Auto Repair and Towing 

Meridian, Mississippi

So far what we know is Jason Moorhead was performing a snow winch out about an hour ago when a car traveling approximately 80 miles per hour struck and killed him. The driver of the speeding car was also killed. The family may start a go-fund-me page so be on the lookout for it. 

Our hearts, hopes, prayers go out to his loved ones. 

jason011718.jpg

jason011718A.jpg

• Like 1

The owner was at the rear of flatbed rigging a snatch block to pull a car out of a ditch when the crash happened. The truck was hit so hard the flatbed went through the cab.

Sad time for family and company. The tower/mechanic that actually built that tow truck died last week as well. The owner's son was also in the tow truck, but he is going to make it. The speeding car also had a passenger that also is expected to live. 

22 hours ago, courtesytowing said:

JASON MOORHEAD, OWNER

Magnolia Auto Repair and Towing 

Meridian, Mississippi

So far what we know is Jason Moorhead was performing a snow winch out about an hour ago when a car traveling approximately 80 miles per hour struck and killed him. The driver of the speeding car was also killed. The family may start a go-fund-me page so be on the lookout for it. 

Our hearts, hopes, prayers go out to his loved ones. 

jason011718.jpg

jason011718A.jpg

https://www.gofundme.com/efforts-to-help-family

• Sad 1

• 4 years later...

Fallen tow truck operator honored on son’s tow truck

MERIDIAN, Miss. (WTOK) - It was an emotional and special day Friday for a local tow truck operator who lost his father in an accident four years ago.

James Moorehead’s tow truck was specially wrapped in new graphics to honor his father, Paul Jason Moorehead, Sr., who was killed in 2018 while towing a car on I-59 in Jasper County.

“I’ve kind of taken James under my wing,” said Graphics Guru owner, Zane Royal. “He’s done really good with starting over with J&C Towing. It was such a tragedy to lose a friend for such a senseless accident. It’s always been ‘move over’ for tow trucks. Being that we are a graphics shop, he had a new truck that he was putting together and I said we are going to wrap this truck.”

The graphics feature a photo of Moorehead, his birth and death date, his signature and a special message reminding motorists that tow truck operators are heroes too.

“Slow down, move over has been part of my life for a while. Not just since my father passed away, I’ve always said slow down and move over,” James Moorehead explained. “It’s not just for tow truck drivers, it’s for anybody. Even the construction workers that are building the highways. You need to give them respect because they need to make it home to their family at the end of the day, as well.”

The truck was unveiled to James Moorehead in front of his family at the Graphics Guru shop on B St. in Meridian Friday afternoon.

RESOURCE LINK with VIDEO