News Ticker
  • Many thanks to our sponsors and patrons for their continuous support of our community.
  • 2018 Motor Club Ranking Underway
  • Slow Down Move over
TowForce

Passenger claiming they got hurt in my truck!!!!!!!!

We have the same issues here in California. Passengers having a hard time getting in and out the truck .some jump out the truck and face plant on the ground.but this is not our liability. We are not allowed to help in or out especially if they are female. And the sad part is we have to take them with there vehicle.true we are not a taxi but for some odd reason the motor club thinks we are it's a constant battle.so my opinion is the member knows the risk ahead of time .its a big truck and if they can't deal with it find another ride but they choose to take the risk.we have to stay diligent and respectful but we let them know ahead of time if they need a taxi or not.if they say no it's out of our hands.my opinion is take better care of your vehicle then you won't have to get a tow.its simple but we don't live in a world of intelligence so all we can do is make people aware and if they choose to take a chance then that's on them.the funny part of this is its mostly the basic members that give us the most grief on all issues .tell you the truth I think I may have some of these people sign a waiver before they attempt to get in my truck that should end our worries of dishonest money hungry  Tyrants.

16 hours ago, Johnny Sofranko said:

We have the same issues here in California. Passengers having a hard time getting in and out the truck .some jump out the truck and face plant on the ground.but this is not our liability. We are not allowed to help in or out especially if they are female. And the sad part is we have to take them with there vehicle.true we are not a taxi but for some odd reason the motor club thinks we are it's a constant battle.so my opinion is the member knows the risk ahead of time .its a big truck and if they can't deal with it find another ride but they choose to take the risk.we have to stay diligent and respectful but we let them know ahead of time if they need a taxi or not.if they say no it's out of our hands.my opinion is take better care of your vehicle then you won't have to get a tow.its simple but we don't live in a world of intelligence so all we can do is make people aware and if they choose to take a chance then that's on them.the funny part of this is its mostly the basic members that give us the most grief on all issues .tell you the truth I think I may have some of these people sign a waiver before they attempt to get in my truck that should end our worries of dishonest money hungry  Tyrants. 

don't most of us already have customers sign damage waivers already? it's pretty simple to just add it to the existing waiver

A waiver is only worth the paper it is printed on if one can substantiate negligence. In this country, anyone can sue another if they feel that they have been harmed or wronged. If a customer jumps out of your truck and face plants, you are in a much more advantageous position if you have a sign explaining three points of contact. Remember, you are an evil business owner, who makes a PROFIT. Shame on you. But, seriously, you as a driver and or as an owner can be sued if a customer is injured exiting the truck. And you can be found liable. Your insurance carrier would probably just settle to put the issue to bed. Never assume that you are not liable. That is a very dangerous mindset to perpetuate.

I have not used a waiver in years for anything. Someone somehow will find negligence. Especially in my towing grounds. Someone has a lawyer in the family or knows a lawyer. I just do my best to accommodate. In my experiences anyone who had trouble getting in or out were at the time felt embarrassed of their health. At times yes it takes time but every call is completely different then the next. It's a tough life when we are creatures of habit.

Edit add: When I was in a bigger chassis I always instruct people when getting out face me and go down. Do not walk out and use 3 points of contact. Its something many people do not do. In my training the 3 points of contact have saved my tail from harm many times. Need to be aware that what we do all day long getting in and out of that truck could be a learning experience for other people as their first time.

I still wonder what the industry will do when the Insurance says "No Customers as Passengers". I understand the challenges this presents to companies operating in rural areas. However, many urban companies are beginning the go in this route. Explaining to the customer when they call they will need to arrange for transportation. The industry should have begun accumulating the public to this years ago. It is a very rare occasion that I place anyone in the truck. I used to get all kind of negative feedback when I stated that years ago. However with so many incidents occurring with customers physical and mental issues that tide is turning. Your Thought's?

I think you have to use your best judgement and be prepared to justify your decision. I do not think as an industry we will ever be in a position to say carte blanc across the board, that we will not take passengers to a destination. You have to trust your sixth sense.

Heck, I'm surprised when they fail to report negligence. 

Oh you struck a semi wheel and tire on the freeway traveling 70 MPH and blew 3 tires?

You say my driver scratched your bumper with the cable on your lower valance while he was loading your car?

Well tell me what part of your bumper was left on the car after the collision first, lets start there!!

People!!!  Seems everywhere I turn I see this!

We had this problem on a regular basis when we were running all UD's,

People would just open the door and step out, Do you not remember climbing up into the cab 15mins ago?

Best part is the lack of arm or leg strength most people don't possess, we had to tell them all the time to turn around and climb down & out like they were on a ladder.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to TowForce.net

Wanting to join the rest of our members?

Feel free to sign up today.