Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

TWISTED TRI AXLE

Topic Originally Created by Eliminator II in April of 2007:

This dump truck had 35 ton in it, he was grossing out a little over 96000 when he tried to dump. as you can see he was unsuccessful. The lift cylinder was broke off and stuck in the frame so we removed the cylinder first then chained the suspension to keep it from moving any more. we ran 2 loop straps to the frame of the body and lifted the body, untwisted everything we could untwist then chained the body to the frame and prepped for the tow to the storage lot.

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Jhook5230 said:

did you finish unloading the cargo before the upright or lift it as it was???

Eliminator Ii said:

Yes we had to finish unloading it , the dirt was like wet clay and it was all on the wall , still had probably 20 ton in it. The suspension was broke, and probably would have had to unload it after we stood it up anyway so we just did it on its side..

Mr. Waialae Chevron said:

Makes one wonder...if the cylinder did not break, it would have rolled the truck...would that be less damage than a twisted frame?
Nice work there.

Wailai2.jpg
Here's to mud in your eye.
Barney

heavytowman12 said:

I first thought when looking at the photos. Ok job looked ok to me but again I'm no expert.I have seen worse and have done worse. Worked along side of others in the years past & present and seen worse. Then I read down a couple responses and I see some of the experts have commented.I guess first I'm not sure if you mean skimp or scrimp on the equipment needed after spending big bucks on a recovery vehicle.Either way It's not a case of being cheap I believe it a case of what has worked for whom ever in the past. Who is to say he or she didn't have 12 in sheave blocks lets leave that at that.I think some of of us put the best of our knowledge to work when ever possible.Maybe if one of the commentors post would have taught what he preached here on this post.One of his best operators would be back to work now after a year later still is out.Maybe he should be kicked in his ass for letting what happened to his guy happen to him!
Maybe I read into these two response the wrong way.I do feel both persons comments have the knowledge to take care of any situation that comes their way.I also feel the responses didn't come across in the right manner. Now thats just me talking and again what do I know!

Eliminator II:

Wayne , that is a very good observation , the only problem is that at that point I was removing the lift cylinder and the other hook was touching the dump body giving the appearance that it does , and you are correct in what you were saying, the truck has 4 12 ton blocks and one 8 ton. the 8 ton is only set up for 3/4 wire rope the other 4 are for 7/8 or 1"
2 of them are 10" and 2 are 12", and I did not put them in for this job I didnt take them out from the last . It is an empty dump truck at the point of lift. That is a very good point and something alot of us should check because the manufacturer of the truck body doesnt always give us the correct equipment for the unit we have purchased, Thanks for the comments .

Ed who is george? This truck is out of New York

Martin thanks for viewing and commenting , I am not sure I understand that comment but I dont believe I need to in this case. I have been in the towing industry for 21 years 17 of that has been heavy duty and I still look forward to learning from other recovery people. And I especially like to see there equipment.. thanks for commenting...

AL, yes that would be the truck you towed. come visit us in the poconos you can tow it home for him.

John L Hawkins said:

OK let's see what we can get out of this 1. Wayne I hope that your comments are not directed toward us, if they are then I am offened (but that would not be the first time) 2. Scott, your accessment about resistant has merit, but the increase power in our applications would be EXTREMELY hard to measure not alone witness. 3. the blocks in the picture are 12T8BB Johnson's, that weight 47 lbs each and have a sheave designed to handle 3/4 or 7/8 cable IF you step that block up to a 12T12BB (i.e. 12 inch sheave wheel) your at 71 lbs. still handling 3/4 or 7/8 cable. 4. cable size to sheave wheel diameter for seven plus decades have always been less the OSHA standards AND the main reason for that is our industry application of cable over a sheave wheel is unique. In the life of any tow truck, if the operator uses the length of cable more than once in a recovery, that is a TOTAL rarity. I have done it and yes you probably have done it BUT those times are FEW. On a crane with in any given day, that machine will do it more than the life of your wrecker. 5. with tow trucks today unlike for us OLD PEOPLE ( using car slings and truck hitches) , under lifts and wheel lifts no longer require the use of cable to lift the load. So in todays market cable life on a unit is dramatically increased.
6. Thus with all that info above , we offer for sale with our units using 3/4 or 7/8 cable a 12T8BB and the main reason for doing that, is it weighs less and that is less that you have to hike up a trailer or across a creek or whatever. IF, you want a 12T12BB or bigger block contact your dealer, AW Direct, or BA products they be happy to supply your needs.
PS, I jumped in here because Mr. Shieler was concerned and I hope that I directed this response to his concern and his professionalism Thanks JOHN

Dallas Horton said:

Thanks John for helping out and even refreshing a parts guy mind. Hey I'm 22 years old and even I dont wanna carry a 71lb block through the woods.lol_______________________
Dallas Horton

wstowing11 said:

John that comment was not directed to you or your company directly. I am speaking of all manufacturers . Including Jerr-Dan that I am very loyal too , Miller , NRC, etc.

The application guides for these sheave sizes versus wire rope sizes speak for themselves , as to efficiency of wire rope ratings .

And yes we have the wrong size sheaved snatchblocks on our wreckers too, for the reason John stated about the weights of these things. We would all have to body builders to carry them if we adhered to all the guidelines . But we also do have the right ones on our wreckers too. The largest being 12 ton 12 " sheave . Actually small if you follow the recommendation by Gunnebo Johnson for a sheave size to wire rope size to maintain yur efficiency on your working load limits , etc..

excessiveforce52 said:

well here I go again and let me start by saying, its not meant to offend anyone!!!!! I carry 6--12t--10" blocks on my truck along with a couple smaller one for directional pull or my deck winch on lite loads....I have always used an 8" up to the time that I started working with a 7/8's rope and never had a problem, I think if your block was always left on the rope thats when you might have a problem with the bend, now thats just my opinion.... but I was given the industries ratio as ( D/d ratio) the sheave or bend diameter divided by the ropes diameter.....

12.1 industries specs.
3/4 rope 3/4 x 12/1=36/4=9" sheave
7/8 " " 7/8 x 12/1=84/8=10.5" sheave

like I said always used 8" without a problem,up till the 7/8's switched to 10".......

Archived