Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Struck on I-65 in Indiana 08.25.18

TowNews

Four hospitalized, one critical, in 11-car crash on I-65

An 11-vehicle crash on I-65 ended up with four people being hospitalized Saturday night, and the southbound lanes being out of commission for hours.

According to the Indiana State Police, the crash happened shortly before 11 p.m. on I-65 southbound, near Whiteland Road. First responders on the scene reported the crash involved multiple vehicles and several injuries.

"As police and medical personnel sorted through the crash, it was determined a total of four people were in need of medical evaluation, one patient was in critical condition and a medical helicopter was summoned to the scene," Sgt. John Perrine said in a statement. 

Perrine added that three others patients were taken to local hospitals by ambulance for treatment of non life-threatening injuries.

Preliminary investigation indicates that a tow truck was slowing in the left lane to remove an abandoned vehicle from the left shoulder. A black pickup truck collided with the tow truck as it slowed, police said. 

A third vehicle rear ended the pickup, causing it to spin and come to rest in the road, police said. The pickup was then struck again by a box truck.

"There were only four vehicles involved in the collision; however several other vehicles struck debris in the roadway causing damage," Perrine said in a statement. "The driver of the pickup was flown to Methodist Hospital in critical condition. He is expected to survive."

The crash left the southbound lanes of I-65 close for three hours, police said. The incident remains under investigation.

RESOURCE LINK

Archived