Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Building a Custom Rollback - Looking for Input and Feedback

Guest NETrucker

Guest NETrucker

So I have this idea, kind of like PODS but more versatile in my eyes. I'm still researching specifics and dot legalities but hear me out. I'm looking into buying an Expeditor truck; straight truck, sleeper, drop axle, etc. Installing a PTO, removing the box and installing a rollback like a Detroit Wrecker Low Loader. If the box is roughly 20-22ft would swapping it out for a 20ft rollback realistically work? Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Sponsor

First set of questions you need to ask about the expeditor truck chassis are these:

1. What is the Cab to Axle or Tandem of the chassis? This dictates what size bed you would be able to install on the chassis.

2. What height is the frame off of the ground.

3. Is the frame clear of stuff? You need to be able to mount the sub frame on the chassis frame so if something is in the way it will need to be moved .

4. Does the frame have enough distance from the center of the axle or tandem to the end of frame? a single axle truck needs 34" and a tandem axle chassis needs 60" to end of frame.

If you can not answer these questions I would not start trying to mount a bed on the chassis.

Below is a link to Jerr Dan's Best Kept Secrets on their Towing & Recovery Carrier to help you out.

https://www.jerrdan.com//wp-content/uploads/Towing-and-Recovery-Sales-Manual-Rev-A.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2018 at 2:11 PM, BlackAutoload said:

Sounds like you got it.

Cab to axle and cab to end of frame are the main dimensions to look at.

Are you looking to build more of a hook dumpster truck but with a flat deck to hook onto?

Sounds more like he's going to use it for long distance exotic car transport, with a dws low loader. Honestly, I'd contact dws themselves and see what they think. 

Archived