Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

My trip down under

Louwo

Greeting I've always loved the few weeks I got to spend with the great mates at Sowerby's towing in the great town of Toowoomba, Qld. One year their heavy was in one of the tow magazines of their international article I wish I still had it or can find it. It was a Pete with a 50ton slider came from Baltimore and converted to a RH drive truck by I think the fellas at Truckworks. I may be wrong I have to find my shirt. It was a unforgettable experience to drive that Pete and do a recovery or two as well as all the other trucks doing various jobs wanting to move out there.

I can't stress how great the staff was and the owners of Sowerbys are. Made a wonderful experience and life long friends.

I dug up this photo when I drove the bogey tilt tray taking this loader to a event called farm fest. The fellow in the pic was a brother of the man who allowed me the opportunity to meet everyone out there.7d727bbd8dae0b8b14ec0187832d1a07.jpg

• 3 months later...
Sowerbys  sold off their Heavy towing operation to Mansells  a few years ago. Sowerbys still exist but are much smaller.

The then manager at the time I think your referring to has his own towing business.

Yes. He does I am still in contact with many out there. That was about 10 years ago. One day I'll take another trip out there and run up the range. 

I even got to drive their Pete when I was there then with the 50 ton slider that was shipped from the ports here in Baltimore. I think Truck works down by Sydney did the conversion to RH drive.

Archived