News Ticker
  • Many thanks to our sponsors and patrons for their continuous support of our community.
  • 2018 Motor Club Ranking Underway
  • Slow Down Move over
EKYtow55

USPS Form 3811 ( Green Return Receipt Card)

I think this question has been asked several years ago but I really would like some input on Certified Letters sent out by Tow Co.'s, we encounter problems with lengthy times getting the letters back or the green card confirmation that the letter was delivered and signed for, and the main issue is not getting the green card USPS form 3811 back period?

What do you expect from a government agency that operates five billion dollars a year in the red?

Seriously, contact the postal inspector as well as your congressman in that order. They are probably being thrown away by someone.

I used to send the certified letter in a window envelope with a check for like a dollar in front of the bill.  They would sign for the certified thinking they were getting a refund cause they could see that it was a check.  If they signed for it, the receipt would come as well as them trying to cash the check.  Worked a lot on the real deadbeats.  My attorney at the time thought it was a cool idea.

Jim B

Check idea is great.

I use the online tracking system, taking a screenshot when it was delivered.

I don't always get the green card back either.

It doesn't really matter if you get the returned letter or green card back at all.  In the eyes of the law, you need to prove that you SENT IT.  As long as you have the time and date stamped receipt at the time of sending, you're good.

Dunno about title law where you're at, but in Texas, to file for title via storage lien it's important to have the proof of notifications in hand.  I had hell getting these back and the post office that served my area was a huge main station.  I went down there numerous times trying to find out what was happening with the cards and they left me waiting there forever only to come back empty-handed, time after time.  I was nice at first, polite even, and near the end it got me fired up so badly that they nearly needed the police to get rid of me.  My better judgement took hold and I left before I escalated it any further.

If you can't get results with being nice, it goes downhill from there.  Fighting the post office is like fighting the trash collectors.  They have a monopoly, they know it, and they don't care about your situation one bit.  I ended up scrapping the cars I couldn't get the cards back on because it wasn't worth it to attempt to file for titles without all my paperwork in hand.  I don't need that kind of trouble.

Richard

Yes someotherplace  our Towing & Storage Lien is like yours it Plainly sez you must have green return card in order to process for Title, I too have argued with our local Postmaster about this issue, we pay extra to get the return receipt ( Green Card) I even had one of those Postal Clerks try to tell me if the customer signing for it don't give it back we can't get it, now how dumb of a answer is this? 

If you don't get the green card back call the main phone number for the United State Postal Service and let them know. They will first do a bit of research which amounts to nothing. They can give you a reference number for the "failure to provide services" and you can send your next certified letter for free minus the first class postage amount, around 50 cents. Most post offices don't know anything about this and will claim nothing is guaranteed service and no refund or credit is ever given. You will most likely have to ask for the Post Master to look up the reference number to get them to provide the service again for free.  

Also, talk to you state about using the online notifications. I now track the certified number online and when it shows "delivered" my state will accept of print out showing that instead of the green card. There are still a few that will never show as delivered and the envelope doesn't come back either.  That's when I bring up "failure to provide services" and want credit to re-mail the next certified. (doesn't have to be to same address either). 

Twice, I've had the post office write up a letter "to whom it may concern" stating that delivery to the address is impossible and my state will proceed without it in that case.  

BTW.....I'm in Utah.

Edited by LeeAnn