News Ticker
BWdiver

Buying my first heavy

Gotcha! Yep I do remember that course now. I think the towing company Big Wheel has a class like that.. may be the same.

Take it for what it’s worth and I’m not saying it’s worth much. I was talking to a gentleman that sells wreckers and I was looking at a 35 ton and I had mentioned Big Wheels course. Oh boy!! I got a ear full of be careful in those type courses.

i ask what do you mean? He said “ that insurance companies will put folks in these courses to find out who’s taken them” spy’s if you will. I asked why and he said to create a black list! That’s it. I said well I’m sure a lot of towing companies have taken these and we’re they not going to pay tow bills from all of them or were there some other way of them (insurance company) hurting a tow company? He basically said he wasn’t sure but just be careful and be discrete while in one of these classes.

luckilly in Florida we have laws to protect towers from a insurance company abandoning vehicles and not paying, especially on Leo calls.

I know insurance companies and MC’s are starting to get more and more deliberate in there actions to tow companies that don’t play ball with them (do it for nothing) 

I can honestly say I never worked my equipment just to get by. I will leave this industry first. I stick to my rates take it or leave it. I guesse I do in fact need to go to a course like your attending to see what it’s all about and take from it it what will work for my company. Me trying to get more into commercial work, heavy work. I need to know what commercial customers are paying and for what type services. Heck I may decide that the heavy stuff ain’t worth it. It pays to be educated first that for sure.

I got to have it. Only problem I see is talking TCF in financing one that old. But I’m sure they will. It seems to have a following.

Working with them now on buying the truck. They are a little hard to deal with they want to sell as is but are reluctant to fix the small things like lights and wireless remote so I will fly up there and check it out myself.

I've been driving a truck with a Miller DTU on it and I think it is a very versatile unit for many things. Sure, you can't use it for the full recovery jobs but that's why we have other trucks as well. The company I work for is getting a second DTU to add to the fleet at the moment. We have a Rotator, 3 HD trucks, a tractor with a ramp deck trailer, and the 1, (soon to be 2 DTU's). We have the truck for the job but most of the tractor only tows, especially swaps or distance runs go to the DTU or the smaller of the HD trucks.