Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Driver Hero Alert 07-12-18 (SC)

TowZone

Tow Truck Driver Jumps into Action after witnessing Semi Crash

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. (WRDW/WAGT) -- Blaine Carter is back at home with his family Thursday after a long night of driving his tow truck.

The giggle of a newborn in his arms is that much sweeter knowing how his night went.

Around 3:00 a.m., while driving across the river into South Carolina on I-20, Blaine saw a red semi-truck slam through the median onto his side of the road.

"It was coming at me at first, that's why I slammed on the brakes."

Like watching dominoes fall, he watched as another semi drove straight into the truck already stretched across the road.

"It was this big canon noise. It sounded like a big cannon going off," Blaine described the impact.

Using his flashlight, Blaine says he was warning other drivers of the mess ahead when he heard a noise.

"I ran to the other truck, and that's when the guy said 'help me help me I can't move'.”

Blaine says he instantly climbed up into the cab, saw the drivers legs were pushed by the dash, and the steering wheel had him by the chest.

“I had never seen someone looking at me like that asking for help. I couldn't let the guy sit there, so I just started ripping the dash off piece by piece and eventually ripped the seat out and got him out of there.”

There was a deeper pull than just the faint call for help. His father a firefighter, brothers Marines – answering the call is just in Blaine’s blood.

Driver of flipped semi charged with driving too fast

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. (WRDW/WAGT) -- Troopers say the driver behind the wheel of a semi-truck that flipped on I-20 East near milemarker 1 Thursday morning has been charged.

The South Carolina Highway Patrol says the driver has been charged with driving too fast for conditions.

According to troopers, the semi flipped and then was hit by another tractor-trailer to the accident that shutdown the interstate for hours Thursday.

Both drivers were injured in the crash, troopers say.

RESOURCE LINK With Video

Archived