Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Do you think those participating in a FB Group need training?

From a Post found on FB:

35884768_1987489391283647_43725111610027

Got an Agero call for a 2018 F150, never mentioned it being a Raptor or having such wide tires. Being the rookie I am ,when I pulled up I thought nothing of it.

So I took this picture and sent it to my boss and coworkers asking if it was safe. They all gave me a hell no and I had to drop it. I listen to the man who signs my check 10000% this is his company and equipment.

But would I have been able to pull this off? 13 mile highway trip.

Top of Form

Not 100% sure but I think Raptors are awd anyway. I've never got one but wouldn't want to put it on the wheel lift anyways

Here a few of the replies he has gotten:

They are awd thus the raptor. His boss correct leave it and flatbed it

Strap it and roll on

Sling it?

I had stuff just like that, strap it chain it take it slow you’ll be fine

I think don’t quote me on this but I think my husband who say strap or chain it and roll. Do whatever it takes to get it done as safe as possible.

Wouldn’t happen. I’d call for the flatbed

Would I tow it like that, yep. If the boss says no then you listen to the boss. Strap it, chain it, roll out...

They Are awd trucks you would eithir dolly the truck or put it on a flatbed. An how wife those wheels are your taking a chance of the wheels jumping out the pans

Strap it and Dollie. Then roll on

Havent messed with one, frame fork it w/axle straps dollies

Never heard of frame fork.. mind letting me in on that

something your truck can’t do. It basically like what heavys do

Would you guys really dolly this truck for 13 miles on a highway?

Not a sarcastic question, just a rookie one

Yea why not?

No i would rather put it on a flatbed more safe

I’d give that a “no”. However with my truck I’d find a way to fork it and hope the dollies are wide enough to use.

The weight is still within the limits of the wheel lift. The only issue is the overhang. Strap it ,chain it. And move on.

But the boss is the boss.

Dollies are not wide enough on a raptor. I’ve got the bigger ones and they still don’t fit.

Strap the rear end and roll

Dollies do nothing for you here. It doesn’t change the fact that u need to grab the tires that are wider than ur wheel lift. Strap chain and go

To much stress on the jaw arms a few hard bounces and u start snapping welds .... from experience! ?

Finally someone making sense of the bigger problem in the picture

That’s all it comes down to is equipment wear and liability.

I've only hauled 2 raptors in 6 years and they were 4x4 in 2hi so I chained,strapped, and rolled

Not with an auto loader!

What’s wrong with the damn thing in the first place?

It got into a small fender bender and the owner was afraid to drive it..

People are weirdos

Down the street sure not 13 plus miles

Drop it and center up those claws would of gotten it

It's an angled picture but that's dead center

I think you would of been ok

FLAT BED

Or sling r go

Rollback

This is a quote from one of the managers of the FB page this is posted on.

Strap it chain it pop it into neutral and off you go. If one of my guys ever sent me a picture and asked me if I thought they should do it could be fired as soon as I got back to the shop

Original Poster; Lmao you're a fucking clown. I wouldn't work for a person like you. If asking a question to prevent damage to your equipment or to a customer’s vehicle will get me fired I would kart wheel my ass out of your shop happily

I agree.

I’ve hauled my buddy truck many times. He has 2 raptors. Never a problem

Strap down and roll on. Have done many with an auto loader

Yes you could have pulled it

On this one I wasn’t even to the middle of each tire. Strap and chain and roll on

You would damage your equipment if you tried. Your wheel lift is designed to support the weight to the center of your claw arms. When it's on the tips like that your arms will get damaged, weeks will pop, the arms will get misaligned. 70 shower run isn't worth a1000 dollar repair.

I can’t see the wheelbase affecting the load distribution. If the tires were 3 inches closer the weight will still be sitting exactly the same on the arms, no?

The weight is almost dead center on the tips of the claws/arms

Strap it down tight hook your safety chains and get er done.

Leave it be, it's better to walk away than risk a bad situation. Clearly your truck doesn't have the equipment to tow this vehicle and if anything happens you can't explain why you knowingly continued on with an unsafe load.

Just don’t launch it. Pull it.

will say it’s heeluva lot Safer with a Century with a sliding L Arms.

The best thing in all things is to be safe... yeah you could if but, if something happen.... Man.. you did the right thing...

Ill do it. Ive put 36-40 inch tires on my wrecker. All u gotta do is take it easy and strap down really good with safety chains

The boss is always right!

When you are owner operator you can do whatever you want with your truck when you are only driver the boss is always right if nothing happen you are the hero things goes wrong coming out of your paycheck kappish.

You made the right calls first you asked them you listened that’s how you stay safe and not damage the vehicles you tow.

Frame fork the hitch and go.

Rookies that do things like this save lives and become pros.

The golden rule in this game is that if it doesn’t look right it probably isn’t.

What you did is 100000% right man and any boss should give you a pat on the back.

You’ll go far in this game being switched on ??

When in doubt ask and even if they say yes ask yourself do you feel comfortable that you can do it safely if there is any hesitation then don't do it

Good way to bend the arms

I would say yes. You can short chain with those lifts if you know how to. Still tricky but it can be done.

Original Poster: Never heard of short chaining .. can you elaborate

71. Short chaining is when you use a j-hook chain to attach the vehicle to the lift of the wrecker by attaching the j-hook side to a secure point in the vehicle like the rear axle in a pickup. Put the lift as close the rear tires and then pull the

Fuck ya strap the fucker from the wheels to the stinger or d ring strap the diff to the stinger

you are are unsure..check with the boss.. follow his direction.. in Most cases he has been there and made that mistake before.. man you did the right thing.. I'd employ you

Manager of the FB Group: I think u can disconnect the linkage and pop in neutral

Strap the axles to the lift, your good to go

I would of sling that shit

No , that's why I make sure I'm following the rules just in case I don't want to hear I told you so. I already made the mistake my first week, Towing a rwd BMW 6 series without tying the steering wheel and it climbed a curb on my first turn. Kept my job but making payment installments on $3,400 worth of damage they pinned on me

What set up are you running? My Chevron wheel lift is plenty wide for off-road trucks.

Looks like an older Vulcan 810, looks like someone might cut of a few inches each side tho

strap the axle if you cant get arpund the tires I've wheellifted a truck w 40s w my mpl40

trap the wheel from the inside I have a JerrDan MPL and the wheel straps can be put on backwards

Keep your frame of mind and your sixth sense and you will go far. Great job brother.

That people usually do is add 8 inches of angle on both side and extend the jaws 8 inches

I wonder if they make fork extensions for these situations?

What people usually do is add 8 inches of angle on both side and extend the jaws 8 inches

I would of grabbed it, but then again all my Dynamics have 701 heads on them, I grab duellies without an issue ... lol

Manager of FB Group: looks like you sent to El Cheapo wheel lift out of date

Original Poster What are you trying to say ?

Manager of FB Group: Up date that all

Your boss has the final say but you could of axle strapped it to the head and it would of been fine

run that shit all day lol

Throw wheel straps on it. And assuming hydraulics are in working order shouldn't of had a problem in the world.

Just call a rollback no question it was a 4 wheel drive truck.

4wd don't need a roll back AWD do. And even then you can use dollies instead.

Only little girls play with dollies

Couple of chain extensions for your l bars , we do dually s all day long

always just strap inner wheel of a dually

I've just did a wrangler with wider. I just wheel strapped the fuck out of it. And made sure the top of wheel strap was in holes on the arms essentially closing them more .

Do you have a sling option or is the truck just the wheel lift

Towed one of those... had 1/4in of over hang on both ends. Straped it tight and towed it surface streets for 12 miles.

Being a $60k truck ida told my guy to drop an call the rollback

2 straps.. 2 safety chains and take your time..but then again it’s agero never mind

J hook it smh

Drop it leave it in the grid hook chains to the grid and a safe point on the truck and pick up. Chain tightens. Truck won’t move off of grid

Run your strap looped over the L arm so it can’t open. It’d be fine.

What's the issue went down the road no problems

It's improper use of equipment. Can you do it, yes, should you do it, no. Once something goes wrong you can't explain it away.

Well idk who taught u to tow but theres nothing wrong with this at all

We would frame fork the trailer hitch

Do they make forks for auto loaders?

Nobody pull shafts?

In closing: the topic is continuing, However, out of the 110 replies. I thought only about 15 where at a Pro Value Level.

If these responses were on the Old Tow411 these responses would have been met with serious concern. Do You Agree?

Archived