Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Bed vs. Frame mounted Rollback Pylons?

I notice more new rollbacks seem to have the pylon mounted to the frame between the cab and bed instead of on the bed itself. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? It does keep the lightbar level if it's on the frame. Which do you all prefer and why.

Also steel vs aluminum beds. Is it basically a weight savings vs durability trade off. I get the rust belt issues so aluminum is beneficial there.

Thanks.

One of the biggest advantages in a stationary pylon is gives you more usable deck length and on the light bar issue is when your bed is tilted it blocks it from being seen from the rear while working beside the highway and harder to wash the back of your cab, I now have a 20ft steel w/stationary pylon, steel is better if you hauling wrecks more durable and aluminum looks better if maintained properly ?

• 2 weeks later...

Stationary pylon all the way. The biggest advantage is that the lightbar stays pointing where it is supposed to. The second you tilt your bed with a bed-mounted pylon, the lightbar becomes worthless. Doesn't matter if it is blocked or not, since all the light is directed toward the ground and the sky.

You do gain a little bed space, but the lighting aspect is the most important.

• 3 months later...
  • Platinum Sponsor

Here is a disadvantage to using the stationary pylon, which is that you lose 12" of bed length due to the stationary pylon being mounted to the frame and taking up clear free space. An additional advantage to using a stationary headboard is if you want to be able to have a side puller added to your carrier at a later time, you have the clearance that you will need. I have given you a couple pages from Jerr Dan's website on their Best Kept Secrets on standard duty carriers.

Stationary Headboard Requirements.JPG

SRS10 Requirements.JPG

I like the bed mounted pylons. Advantage for me is late at night when I first approach a call I'll slide the bed back a foot and tilt it up and leave it there to raise the beacons higher. Talk to the PD or member and get them in the cab if needed first. Then roll the bed down. Plus with the flood lights in the light bar it illuminates my work area better then shining them straight back making it tougher for oncoming traffic to see.

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2018 at 8:53 AM, ECTTS said:

Here is a disadvantage to using the stationary pylon, which is that you lose 12" of bed length due to the stationary pylon being mounted to the frame and taking up clear free space. An additional advantage to using a stationary headboard is if you want to be able to have a side puller added to your carrier at a later time, you have the clearance that you will need. I have given you a couple pages from Jerr Dan's website on their Best Kept Secrets on standard duty carriers.

Stationary Headboard Requirements.JPG

SRS10 Requirements.JPG

Not quite true. I think,  with a stationary,  you can pull a vehicle over the winch. 

I have used both. I prefer the pylon mounted to the frame. Being mounted on the frame, there is not a loss of the deck space. As far as pulling a car past the winch, I could see that occurring if the operator is not paying attention. I have never done that myself personally, and have never seen anyone else add that to their resume.

4 hours ago, goodmichael said:

I have used both. I prefer the pylon mounted to the frame. Being mounted on the frame, there is not a loss of the deck space. As far as pulling a car past the winch, I could see that occurring if the operator is not paying attention. I have never done that myself personally, and have never seen anyone else add that to their resume.

I meant intentionally.  I don't mean past the winch, unless you have a Detroit wrecker bed.  Meant pulling the front overhang,  like on an f350, right up to the front of the bed

Archived