Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

1946 Chevy 515 Holmes Traffic King

Topic Originally Created in December of 2006:

Ain't she a beauty? All original, took us @ 2 years to do the full restoration! It all works!

I need to find a 6 volt beacon light........Paul

Goylock110.jpg

Gaylock112.jpg

Gaylock111.jpg

banner2.jpg

FMS Mike said:

Thats a beauty, I like it a lot!!! Something to be very proud of , great job guys

Michael

farmsig2-8.jpg

Underdog said:

That is a beautiful truck. Great job!
Stay safe, Rich

wreckerman05 said:

looks good--i like the front w/s--that use to be air conditioning---good job--be proud--

michael212 said:

Nice!
sigmichael212.gif

Ron Pullen said:
Very nice a great piece of history

Spanky said:
"AWESOME", Did you guys fabricate those rear fenders, yourselves. I've got a '46 Chevy Holmes W35, posted several pages back, in this section.

applepiejoe said:
Sharp lookin old iron , love it!

Gaylock1 said:
I believe the fenders are original for the body. The fenders & steps have slots on the underside to adjust for different widths. We were told that it was a universal body & that it could be used for a fire truck, ambulance, wrecker, etc.. The unit is a 1946 model also. We robbed 5 different old trucks to get the "A/C" workin, the old window frame was in really bad shape. The ole girl was setting in a cow pasture & every morning the cows would gather around it & lick the fenders & bumper clean. Needless to say, they were in excellent shape. She runs good & has a top speed of 40 mph. The unit is power up & clutch down. The starter is in the floor.. I'm not for sure if it is supposed to have a sling, but I don't think I will be towing anything with it. She's just a parade & show pony now, I think she has earned it. If she could only talk...........Paul
banner2.jpg

Spanky said:
Guess, that's possible. If it's a Factory Holmes Service Body, it would have had a Ernest Holmes Body Serial No. Tag, on the passenger side front lower corner. The Factory service bodies usually came with 1937-'38 G.M. 1 1/2 ton dually pickup, & panel rear fenders. Yours do resemble, fenders I've seen on Fire Truck Bodies. Good job. Spanky Hardy.....Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers.

• 2 years later...

I have a Earnest Holmes wrecker.  The catalogue no is 515E.  The serial no is T18 4494.  It is gear driven with swing boom and cast iron gear box.  I am looking for information on the year and weight capacity.  It has been sitting idle for 35 years.  Any information you can provide will be much appreciated.