Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Old Holmes attachments

Wade200 originally created this topic back in May of 2006:

Does anyone know what these do?
I think they work similar to a tru-hitch, it goes underneath the vehicle and connects to the frame or equivalent.

I am really not sure , but I think that is what they are for?

wade2001.md.jpg wade2002.md.jpg

dmurph879 said:

I unboxed a new set of those in 1973 they were bright red and the rubber that was on the aluminum I-beam was riveted on and about .375 of an inch thick. The I-beam had two short pieces that rode on top of it that contacted the frame horns. They actually were a pain to use but worked pretty well for the plastic nosed cars that were just coming on to the market at the time. I wouldn't think they would be worth much without the rest of the set but they are an interesting piece HOLMES history.

Da Wash Boss said:

holmes ta-105 bars,,,, i have complete sets on all of my trucks. with those you can tow any car you want who needs an underlift.

Dan Cassello - TRPC - East Hartford, CT

HansonMA said:

WOW!! have not seen those since my first days in towing(1982) I was instructed how to use them but only used them a handful of times.We were one of the few companies at that time that had car carriers,thank GOD

Kevin

TruckerJeff said:

Wow thats a blast from the past. Bus bar you had to go there J.R. I know of a Polock (Rip Bob) that left his bus bar on a orange county bus went back to get it and had to track the bus down . Man they were heavy. The bus bars that is.Jeff Watt, Mcneals Auto and Truck of Baltimore MD.

unknown Member said:

Exactly right on the description--I had forgotten the actual # of the whole set--i remember my boss bought two sets, and within a couple of months, most of the parts were lost or broken--I used them a few times---had a really hard time once on a Trans Am, where the back hook got wedged up in the steeing arm--ten minutes laying on my back pounding w/ a big hammmer--then having tojack the car up, and finally take the tire off....Whew!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...