Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Raleigh mom says tow truck driver saved her life during shooting (NC)

TowNews

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) - On Tuesday morning Sherry Williams woke up and tried to start her car.

“My car wouldn’t crank so I ended up calling my insurance company, they dispatched a tow service,” said Williams.

It was about 6 p.m. when her tow truck driver, Johnnie Jones, arrived in her apartment complex on Burgundy Street in Raleigh.

She says she was just about to sign the release form for her car when shots rang out. Williams says she froze.

“When we heard the shots he said, ‘Oh my God. They’re shooting!’ He said, ‘Get down!’ and I think I froze and he reached over and pulled my sleeve and we hit the ground and I guess by him pulling me he was hit in the elbow,” said Williams.

She says Jones saved her life, but took a bullet in the process. He was shot in the elbow.

“I never would’ve thought I’d be that close,” said Williams, who has a son. “Like I said if he did not pull me down from his shoulder that could’ve been my chest.”

Williams says there was another shooting in her neighborhood Saturday night. She says something needs to be done about the gun violence.

"As a community if you don’t call they don’t know and then when they come nobody wants to talk and I understand some people are scared, retaliation and if they talk they’re gonna get hurt, but it could be the kids out here and something could fatally happen with the kids and then it’s too late,” Williams said.

Williams has not had a chance to personally thank Jones, but she wants him to know she is more than grateful.

“Just thank him for actually saving my life and I wish him a speedy recovery.”

RESOURCE LINK With Video

Jones works at Big Mack Towing in Knightdale. His brother who says he is on the mend. We did reach out to Jones for an interview, but so far have not heard back.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived