Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Personal use, Rollback project

Hi all,  I am not a pro, but I am an ASE master tech and have an addiction to anything gearhead, as well as welding and metal fabrication.  I recently purchased a non-running 2004 Isuzu FRR with 21 ft Century steel bed rollback and wheel lift at a local equipment auction.  Working on getting it running and all fixed up for fun adventures. I figure why buy a car trailer when I can have a rollback?  In addition to pulling my old boat, I love going to auctions and trying my luck.  I am sure I will have questions along the way,  I'll be posting a tread about fixing this thing later as I don't have much experience with these trucks,  I love COE's though. Had a UD years ago when i had a small business in the mountains,  Loved that truck and always regret selling it.   I also got a whole bunch of amber lightbars and beacons that I fixed up and will have for sale shortly. 

HlMm48EOlzN4JzXnmsi6UCRZn_8_8bVgcsdHlCoQ

Truck pic

• 3 weeks later...
LOL speaking from experience, make sure you have NOT FOR HIRE pasted all over that sucker.  depending on the state, they will mess with you. cool truck tho.  I have a Mitsubishi fuso wrecker version of yours. good trucks.
Thanks, yeah I plan to put that on it. Not sure if NV will let me register it as an RV, but I know I can be exempt from the commercial weight fee. Just sent the ECM out to be repaired (hopefully). At least it's at the dealer's lot and not mine so I have room to work on my old boat project for a couple weeks.

I would strongly suggest that you replace those L arms. Personally, I do not trust that design. Also ensure that the vertical pin that secures the receiver pin to the swivel is in place. It will certainly eliminate a great deal of risk.

Appears to be a great fab repair. I would explain the reason behind behind not using such equipment. But, I am sure others can explain the legal issues that can arise if something occurs because of a flaw in the repair or custom fabrication that is non factory. I know the Old Towers made or modified their own equipment years ago and some still do. However, we live in a different world now and everything can be a legal issue.

If you make your own, and they fail, the liability is on you. If you buy from the manufacturer, and they fail, and you were using them within their limitations, you can fade the heat towards  the manufacturer.

Personally, I do not like that design. They are great to beat someone over the head with, but I have seen many of them suffer stress fractures. I guess to it is due to my preference e for the Vulcan scoops. They are too heavy to swing to beat someone in the head with, but I have never had one fail.

Archived