Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Close call for Madison tow truck driver (WI)

TowNews

MADISON, Wis. (WMTV) -- It's happened before but it keeps happening. A crash caused by a driver not moving over or slowing down for an emergency vehicle.

tow+truck16.jpg

Eriq Christensen a tow truck driver for Liberty Towing Service was helping a driver who slid of the roadway on Interstate 90 early Thursday morning when he was almost hit by another car.

"I had an angel over my shoulder on that one. For sure,” said Christensen.

Christensen responded to many slide-offs in the area overnight but a call early Thursday morning on Interstate 90 was almost his last.

"He wasn't getting over, he wasn't slowing down. So I ran from the driver side of the vehicle into the ditch to avoid being hit. I was freaking out. I called my boss in a panic. I didn't know what to do” said Christensen.

“It’s tough,” said Rodney Timmerman, Liberty Towing Service owner.

Timmerman said it was a call he hoped he’d never get.

"When I started this company it was one of my biggest fears. I don’t want to think about it,” said Timmerman.

As they look at the damage on the driver's car who hit Christensen, it’s a miracle no one was hurt or killed.

"Yeah, we got him out of the vehicle. He was alright. He was shaken up but he was alright,” said Christensen.

In Wisconsin, there is a state law that requires drivers to slow down or move over for stopped emergency vehicles. If you don't follow the rules you could get fined a more than $250 ticket.

RESOURCE LINK With Video

http://www.nbc15.com/templates/2015_Sub_Video_Share?contentObj=480312083

238f7c0c7b5d75c68970e7600c932a1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The article doesn’t do the situation justice, the car jumped our truck and very seriously damaged it.

The car jumped our truck to the left, dented the a pillar and the door, and took off only the top of the mirror before rolling over into the interstate.

Archived